TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Triggering: Crazy dad help? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t162279-crazy-dad-help/)

Nikk November 16th 2021 02:57 PM

Crazy dad help?

I'm 16 and my boyfriend just turned 18 and immediately moved out of his grandparent's house. I gave him $150 to help him out a bit since keeping a job was a small issue for him. He wasn't a bad worker or anything he just has difficulty doing what some people deem to be simple due to his autism. Anyways, I gave him the money and my parents found out. My dad told me I have 2 weeks to get the money back from him or he would get it back himself. While he said that he proceeded to show me a bunch of guns in his closet. This was about a month or two ago. 2 days ago I snuck out to hang out with my bf (Which I do pretty often) but I got caught. My dad was furious and grabbed me, a gun, and started driving to my boyfriend's grandparents' house saying things like "You put these people's lives in danger because of what you did" and "We're not leaving until we get that money." My dad left his phone at home and didn't know where the house was since he was looking for my boyfriend's car and he wasn't there. I think my dad was just trying to scare me but he threatened my boyfriend and his grandparents for no good reason. Should I call the police and say my dad is a threat?

DeletedAccount81 November 16th 2021 03:54 PM

Re: Crazy dad help?

Well, taking a gun and gaslighting you by saying "these people's lives are in danger because of you" is pretty solid a threat! People generally have guns for self defense or hunting; sensible people don't go around threatening to shoot others with their gun collection. So it would be wise to report this to the police or some other trusted adult.

Does your dad have a history of mental instability or violence? This would be something you can address with whomever you make the report to. Keep notes of all the time he acts threatening, and not necessarily just in the instances where he's saying he plans to shoot someone who sends him into a rage.

Another thing, do you have another parent or sibling(s) living with you? If so (and they're older than you, never burden younger siblings) then I suggest confiding in them. You shouldn't have to go through this alone.

Nikk November 16th 2021 08:02 PM

Re: Crazy dad help?

I'm the oldest out of my siblings. My dad has never been this violent in the past. The most he's ever done was break a bunch of stuff in an angry rage. My sister, Myah, is 15 and my brother, Trevor, is almost 10. My dad has never treated them even remotely as poorly as he treats me. The worst he has done to one of them was take Myah's door. But that was only in response to taking my door as well. The main thing I am concerned about with reporting my dad is what will happen next. My mom doesn't work and our family is already struggling as it is. I don't want to negatively impact my siblings and their lives you know?