TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

June 10th 2009, 06:27 PM

Umm where to start.

As you may know I went to Hawick common-riding.

Well on the friday, my uncle passed me a drink and when I sat down, he pulled my seat back, which was one of the foldable ones, so it collapsed on my foot (the one that was sore). He tried pulling me out, making it worse. I snapped at him and walked off, letting me cool down since I didn't want to speak to him. During this, he was extremely drunk.

I went back half an hour later and spoke to him, since I didn't want to cause friction and in the end I was speaking to him, but just a little (since other family problems I wont go into).

Anyway, the next day we said hi, and my Gran was being funny with other Aunts of mine, and didn't say goodbye. She was really huffy.

I don't think my Gran's talking to me because of all of this, and my Grandad was weird on the phone, saying it was my fault, and he was condoning my uncles behaviour. "We didn't know about her foot" which, fair enough, they didn't but its COMMON SENSE. My uncle also got my little cousin in tears (he's 5) by pouring beer over him. All in all my Uncle was being a prick.

I'm just really annoyed and upset that I have seen with my own eyes that my Gran doesn't care. She didn't say goodbye when she left on the saturday, and when I only see her a couple of times a year, it hurt.

She never visits, and before anyone says it's easier them visiting, since my brothers in a wheelchair and NONE of their houses are accessible. So travelling 6 -8 hours is a bit much, whereas they can stay here for any time they wish.

She never phones, she doesn't take any interest in what me and my brother do, she never has done but it really hurts seeing it for myself and what she's like.

When I did my standard Grades, she barely praised me when I got top marks, but thought my cousin was brilliant for getting 7's.. (which is when you turn up for the exam, but all in all have failed).

I feel crap for being this annoyed, but I thought Grans were meant to care about ALL their Grandchildren. Not have favourites.

Do people think I have a right to be annoyed, or just being stupid?

Last edited by Strider; June 11th 2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Double post
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Family. - June 11th 2009, 10:51 PM

Hi Laura,

You do have a right to be annoyed at how your Gran is acting and upset that she seems to be choosing favourites among her grandchildren. It's not fair that your grandparents are acting this way towards you at all.

Condoning your uncle's behaviour was not right at all. He may have not known about your foot, but he should have acted responsibly in the situation and listened to you. Also, I don't think that him getting drunk around you was very responsible.

Your aunt should have dealt with your uncle after her poured beer on your little cousin. That wasn't appropriate at all, and it is her job as the mother of her child to lay down some behaviour rules.

I don't think that there is anything you can do about changing your Gran's mind about picking favourites. She has already done it, and unfair as it is, saying anything probably wont change her mind.

Talk to your friends and immediate family instead about your grades and have them support you. Take pride in yourself for achieving so much. You deserve congratulations on those top marks

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Family. - June 12th 2009, 07:00 AM

My mums always said to me about my Gran, but I didn't want to believe it, though deep down I knew... I guess just seeing it for myself made it seem real

As for my uncle, he'll pretend nothing happens... until the next time he's drunk.

xx
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
Closed Thread