TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hello giraffie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sarah

Unhappy I might loose my only friends - June 26th 2009, 11:32 PM

Right now I feel like I only have two friends, and BOTH of them have been talking about suicide recently.
One of them I've known pretty much my whole life, like, since kindergarten. She attempted suicide last year around this time and has started talking about it again.
The other one I've known for almost a year, but he's a reallyreally great friend, and we're really close. I know he's had issues with things like this in the past, though.
I just really don't know how to handle this. I know what it's like to be in that place, and I know that arguing with them or trying to talk them out of it wont work, and if anything, it will make the situation worse. So what am I suppsed to do?!
It really hurts me to see people I love feeling like this.
  Send a message via AIM to hello giraffie Send a message via MSN to hello giraffie  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
live.laugh.love
Regular TeenHelper

Name: cassieee.

Re: I might loose my only friends - June 27th 2009, 12:34 AM

Hey,

Let them know that you are there for them and keep reminding them that suicide isn't the way to solve their problems. My best friend talked about suicide and it freaked me and I had to talk to her mom because it was either lose her or get her help. She wasn't that mad at me and even if she was, she got over it. She's greatful now that I talked to her mom and that she got help that she needed. Could you talk to you're friends parents, so that they don't commit suicide. Esp. the one who already attempted once.

Talk to them first and see if anything has settled down. Sometimes people just get worked up and don't think straight but start thinking after awhile. How long have they been in this sucidial phase?

when life is in discord; praise ye the Lord

keep your faith alive.
we're not alone <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lia

Re: I might loose my only friends - June 27th 2009, 04:51 PM

I think you should tell them that suicide is not the best way to solve their problems, and that they mean a lot to you, even if they feel like they're not worth anything. Sometimes making others feel needed makes them feel better about themselves. Like xxJesus_Freakxx <3 said, I think you should also try talking to their parents about it so that you won't lose them. They will definitely then try to do everything in their power to prevent them from committing suicide.

Lia
visions so insane,
traveling, unravelling through my brain
cold when i am denied it,
YOUR LIGHT IS ULTRAVIOLET.
ULTRAVIOLET.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: I might loose my only friends - June 27th 2009, 05:36 PM

Hiya Sarah,

I'm glad to know that you have two really good friends. It's scary knowing that you might lose them.

Make sure you talk to them. Comfort them, make sure they know suicide isn't the answer to their problems, and that you're willing to listen is they are really willing to talk. Talking can help deter these negative emotions.

If they are having a hard time and since you are really concerned for them, it probably would be wise to tell a trusted adult about this. A cousellor, or teacher, or even their parents, this way they can get the help they deserve.

If you have to resort to telling someone to get them help, they might be angry with you at first, but stay strong, because in the end they will thank you for saving their lives.

Take care of your friends Sarah, they definitely need you. If you want to talk feel free to PM me anytime.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hello giraffie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sarah

Re: I might loose my only friends - June 30th 2009, 12:26 AM

I'm just afraid that if i tell someone, they'll be supersuper mad at me and not want to be friends with me anymore. but i guess that would be better than them being gone forever.
i'm just really scared, and i really have no idea what to do about this. i feel like if this is what they really want to do, then they should, because it's their life whether i like it or not. and either way i loose.
:/

Sarah
returning the smile you've had from the start
  Send a message via AIM to hello giraffie Send a message via MSN to hello giraffie  
Closed Thread