TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sweetman16 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Idk whats next.. - July 14th 2009, 07:16 PM

Well, i live with my grandparents, so does my brother. He won't have to worry tho since hes almost 18. Anyway, im 13 and i've been wondering. what happens if they die? and i just can't talk to them with this kinda stuff. it's really awkward. My grand father is 91, my grand mother is uhh 85? i think lol, but if either die they can't handle us both (not saying like we hate them and piss them off. but it would be too much hard work). But if they both die when im around, 17-18 would i be put off to live bymyself? I know my parents wouldn't be allowed to get us back if they did.but if you have been in this situation please tell me what happend to you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Idk whats next.. - July 14th 2009, 07:45 PM

Hi there,

I have not been in this situation before, but I'll let you know what I am fairly sure would happen. This is something that is important to think about, since it does concern you. I do think that you should talk to your grandparents about this. I know it may be an awkward topic, but let them know that you are genuinely concerned and that you want to be prepared for every possibility. They may have something set up for that eventuality already that they haven't mentioned to you.

I'm pretty sure that if your grandparents passed away, then you would stay with a relative- if they are able to take care of you. If none of your relatives are able to take you in, then child services would be contacted and you would go into their care until you were old enough to take care of yourself.

If you are underage, then you wont have to take care of yourself. You will have some place to stay.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
sweetman16 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Idk whats next.. - July 14th 2009, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the reply

Coming back thinking even further, so lets say that they do take me into custody, what does this mean. like a uhh house with other people like this?

Last edited by sweetman16; July 14th 2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: Idk whats next.. - July 16th 2009, 04:09 AM

What happens when your parents don't have custody and neither does anyone else and there are no relatives to send you to is you become a ward of the state, which means you'll probably be in a temporary foster home, possibly with some other kids like you, or in a group-home. You actually might be able to live on your own, but only if you, yourself, applied for emancipation, so that would be your decision.

Most likely, your grandparents have probably figured it out already, and you'd probably just be living with a relative or family friends.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
sweetman16 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Idk whats next.. - July 17th 2009, 03:44 AM

Thanks for the help again! Love the community here

Closed Thread