TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Unhappy What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 12:15 AM

I have a friend and we are really close. I look up to him, and he used to be my best friend. Whenever I would selfharm, he would be there for me, and support me and get me to try to stop.
But he seemed to just stop caring, and now we barely talk anymore.
it really upsets me.
what should i do?
any advice is appreciated.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 02:09 AM

Hi Kayla,

You are really lucky to have a friend like that who cares about you so much. Even though you may not think it right now, I'll bet he still cares and does want to help you.

Could it be that right now there is a lot going on in your friend's life that he isn't able to handle right now? There could be something stressing him out at home that he needs to take care of, or he could be out of the house a lot and isn't able to contact you and see how you are doing. Or maybe he worried that he wasn't helping you as much as you thought he was and he could think you would be able to get better help from somebody else.

I think a good thing to do would be to talk to your friend and find out what's been going on. Let him know how much you care about him and appreciated all that he did for you when you were going through some really rough times. Tell him how you feel and how you felt when he talked you through some of the bad things that were going on before.

I hope that everything goes well for you. Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to talk.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 02:34 AM

I'm going through the exact same thing right now.
The only thing I really have to say is to tell him exactly how you feel.

To Write Love On Her Arms<3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 03:42 AM

Hey Kayla.
I'm sorry you've grown apart from your friend a bit in the past few weeks, that's happened to me a lot in the past as well. Everyone struggles a bit, with any kind of friendship. The good thing is that you have a friend who cares about you, and I doubt he's going to give up on the friendship you have together just like that.

He may have a lot on his mind right now. Does he have anything in his life that you know he has often struggled with? He could simply be struggling, and not have a lot of time to contribute to your friendship. In that kind of situation, you may have to be the one who needs to work hardest at holding this friendship together.

I'd talk to him about things, if he's someone that you're willing to fight to keep in your life. See what he has to say, if anything's bugging him, or what reason he has for being distant lately. I'd let him know that you want to remain friends with him, and ask him if he is willing to continue on with this friendship as well.

It takes a lot of effort in situations like these, but hopefully you guys can remain such good friends. Best of luck

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 07:32 AM

Here's an encouraging thought.

When you were down and out, between a rock and a hard place, he was there to pick you up and get you back on your feet. He was there to take away some of the pain, to take the time and understand what you were going through. I imagine he did a lot for you, and that's why he's your best friend. =)

Now, it's your turn, it's your chance, to do the same thing for him. Whatever is going on in his life, be it big or small, dive on in and help him get through it. Be the shoulder for him to cry on, and hand for him to hold. Do for him what he was able to do for you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LazzaBeep Offline
Nothing Is Impossible :)
Not a n00b

Name: Laura

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 12:39 PM

I went through the same thing a few years ago with my best friend.
The way i saw it was that if you leave things for a few weeks and the gradually start getting back into his life. Send him the odd text asking how he is or does he want to hang our for a couple of hours.
I found that if i kept showing an intrest in the things my best friend was doing then they will take an intrest back.
Me and my friend are best friends again now and it really helped just dropping the odd text, email or IM.
Hope this helps and you work things out.
-Laura

Do You Take The Non-Believers, Because I'm A Non-Believer

There are 6 billion people in this world. But sometimes all you need is 1.

Send a message via Skype™ to LazzaBeep 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
impuLsive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 05:05 PM

I am in this situation also...try to find new friends. Trust me. you'll be glad you did...I know its hard, I know.

~Contact Information:on:
AIM: Bless3dYoungN (feel free to IM me at any time!)
Click here to check out my blog!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 07:57 PM

join the club. my friend is due to give birth any second/hour/day, and has stoped caring about me more or less overnight. i guess i need the advice tooooooo!
  Send a message via MSN to Emzy Send a message via Skype™ to Emzy 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 17th 2009, 10:44 PM

Try talking to him; ask if he's okay, if he needs to talk about something, and address the issue at hand. If he truly just doesn't care about you anymore, just move on.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
HotPinkMess Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 20th 2009, 03:59 PM

just try talking to him. maybe somethings going on in his life right now, and he's just finding it hard to deal with. if youre still harming yourself, maybe he just gave up? sorry if thats negative... its probably just that somethings going on in his life right now. that happened to me and my best friend a few months ago. it got better. i have a feeling it will get better for you too. :]

** its hard to say i'd rather be awake when i'm asleep **
.: 'cause everything is never as it seems :.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: What Do You Do When Your Best Friend Stops Caring? )= - July 20th 2009, 11:50 PM

Thank You Guys So Much!
I talked to Him, and He just thought that I needed time for myself.
He was actually worried about losing our friendship too.
So I'm glad I talked to him.
Thank You(:

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

Closed Thread