TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

I don't like going anywhere that is not with my family... - July 24th 2009, 04:32 PM

I am 16. I love going places but I don't like going places with anybody except my family. When I do finally get out without my family I am nervous the whole time and its awkward and I don't have any fun and I just want to go home. I just don't feel safe with other people. I feel like something horrible is going to happen. I feel like I am going to miss something with my family (what I am going to miss I dk). How am I ever going to make friends this way?? Any suggestions, does anybody else feel this way??

Alright so I don't have to start a new post I am going to add this in here:
So this is confusing but here I go:
My friend Shelley hates this girl named Bree. Well I started talking to Bree online and she wants to hang out one of these days. Shelley really hates Bree and dosen't really want me to be friends with her. Me and Bree seem to get along good though. I have tried to show Shelley that Bree is not bad but Shelley just keeps telling me that Bree is all lies and is just saying this stuff to get me on her side. I think my friend Shelley is being a little ridiculous, she thinks this girl is out to "steal" all of her friends...

So should I hang out with Bree yes or no??

Thanks!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: I don't like going anywhere that is not with my family... - July 24th 2009, 06:08 PM

Hi Courtney,

I used to feel exactly the same way as you. I was just so used to going places with my parents that I felt really awkward and nervous going places with my friends. They would want to go places downtown, but I just didn't feel comfortable going there without my parents around. I think that it's really normal, and I know that some of my other friends felt the same way as I did, so don't think that you are alone in this.

It really just takes practice, time, and experience to get used to being alone or with friends in places you don't normally go. I found that I got used to it the more I did it. Sure you'll be nervous the first few times, but don't worry about it. Take a cell phone or make sure one of your friends has a cell phone when you go out and feel free to call your parents every now and again if that will make you feel better.

If you are looking to go places with friends and absolutely don't want to go alone, then maybe bring a friend with you on a family outing. If your family is going somewhere and has room for one more, take a friend along with you. I'm sure they wouldn't mind being around your family, and you could even take some time for just the two of you.

As for Bree, whether or not you want to hang out with her is up to you. It might be a good idea to talk to your other friend and find out what exactly Bree did to her to make her feel this way. Let her know that she has been nice to you when you talked to her and that you always like to keep an open mind and give people a chance.

I hope that was some help to you Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread