TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
volleyballx19 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Unhappy I Got Caught.. - August 5th 2009, 12:26 AM

I wasn't sure where to put this but it's kind of family related..
Ok so i've had a facebook for about 2 years now. About 5 months ago I got caught for having one. My mom wasn't that mad but she said that she wanted to go on it and look. My sister also has one and she got caught the same time I did so my mom also wanted to check hers. The funny thing is, she didn't type in the aol(dot)com after our emails so she thought that it wasn't working. This was about 2 months ago. Nobody has mentioned it since. Except...my mom put parental controls on the computer so I can't go on facebook anymore..which sucks! because I have no other way to contact my friends fast..especially if i never see them during the summer. I've tried telling her that its really safe if ur profile is private and other stuff. I also told her that its easy to connect with my cousins and friends who live far away. Parental controls is bothering me too. I have no idea what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Scribbles Offline
Friendly Neighborhood Nerd
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I Got Caught.. - August 5th 2009, 01:04 AM

Hey Karli,

I'm assuming it's for safety reasons that your parents don't want you on Facebook.

Have you spoken to your mom about how frustrating it is to not be able to communicate with your friends and family members? I think you should, and I think you should tell her that your Facebook accounts are probably still working. Judging by her initial reaction, it doesn't seem as though she would be too angry. In fact, you might earn some brownie points for your honesty.

Speak calmly and honestly with your mom (or both parents), and let them know your exact reasons for wanting to keep your Facebook account. Maybe you and your sister could ask your parents to let you access Facebook as long as they can also check on your accounts to make sure there are no shenanigans.

These are just suggestions; I can't say how your parents will react but I think it's worth a shot. PM me any time.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: I Got Caught.. - August 5th 2009, 04:18 AM

Hi Karli,

Facebook can be a useful tool for connecting with people far away, and I'm sure it does help to keep in touch with your friends and cousins, but it isn't the only tool. There are other options, such as msn (or another IM program), email, or even the telephone. Frankly, for contacting your friends, the best way would really be to either see them in person or to speak with them on the phone (either home phone or cell phone). Chances are that they will be near a phone or have a phone with them if they are using their computer.

If you do want to continue using Facebook, then try talking to your mom again and letting her know of how much control you have on it for who can see your profile and the benefits of being able to keep in touch. My only other suggestion would be to go on at a friends house.

Remember that your mom is only trying to keep you safe. Parents tend to be paranoid about internet related activities because of all of the terrible stories there are about it. Prove to your mom that you are responsible or wait until you are old enough to deal with your own computer.

Good luck.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread