TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

View Poll Results: how often do you fight(yell fight) with your parents
NEVER 4 20.00%
1-10 times a month 5 25.00%
11-20 times a month 5 25.00%
at least once a day 6 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tatanater Offline
Jus Chill
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor

Angry my parents SOOO dont get me - August 24th 2009, 01:37 AM

Ok, i might end up venting a little bit on this one but plz bear with me, I had a REALLY bad day, i had a few troubbles with the girl, and general bullshit, so needless to say i was in a REALLY bad mood. I DIDDNT want to blow up on my parents so i kept to myself and tryed to lay low untill i could vent my own way one my own. This was workin, till my mom had a friggin power tripp, and decided that i wuz gunna go do some stupid shit with her, normally nothin big, but i REALLY didnt want to cuz i wuz about to blow, i told her, calmly and rationaly several times that i would rather not and go vent, and of course she gets madder and madder, wich pisses me off even more, till i just blow up, drop the F bomb, so i walk off before i can cause any more damage, cuz it felt SO damn good yellin at them, an i dont wanna mess shit up even more. only one problem, the walk after me, they go off on me, i had calmed down a little bit, so in a level voice, i explained to them that i DIDNT want to blow up on them, but they wouldnt let that shit go so it made me, so they dont listen to a word i say, and say how much they sacrifice for me, how much farther they'd be without me(i was a failed abortion, idk how it happened) so i litterally just turned my back to them and took deep breaths to try an calm myself down, and they just KEPT COMMING BACK, like they're tryin to make me hate them even more, and the worst part was they self-rightous way they whent off on me, like their flippin saints, going off on someone who's trying to keep a level head

Anyhow, does anyone have any idea how to make them see lodgic, or just any advice at all, because i am clueless and tired of this, they wanted a dog that could go to school, not a kid, they just want bragging rights and me to roll over for them when they get bored.
Sorry for venting, they took away my phone so i just immedatly got on the computer, so any advice would be really welcomed, on any aspect of it
  Send a message via AIM to tatanater Send a message via MSN to tatanater Send a message via Yahoo to tatanater  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: my parents SOOO dont get me - August 24th 2009, 01:56 AM

Hey Taylor,
Sorry you are going through all this trouble with your parents. A lot of time parents really don't understand no matter how hard they try. Try talking to them when you are both calm. Tell them when you are upset and you say you need your space you just need some time alone. If they still don't understand, try venting as soon as you feel anger coming on. Hit your pillow, write in a journal, or go for a walk. If you still need someone to talk to, talk to your parents about seeing a counselor. Hope this helps.
By the way, I don't get along well with my parents at all. They are extremely overprotective of me and don't really listen to anything I saw. So we fight a lot. More with my mom than my dad but still. Good luck and I hope my advice helped.
~Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: my parents SOOO dont get me - August 24th 2009, 04:13 AM

I can sort of relate. My parents don't understand me at all. A year and a half ago, I was really depressed and I started being a little closed off from them because of this. Instead of worrying about me or anything, my dad told me that he was moving out, basically because I was a bad daughter.

I hate to say it, because I can't say that it's exactly the way to a healthy relationship with them, but your best shot is probably just to do what they tell you and be really, super polite. Ask them how their day was, show very interested/concerned behavior. The reason it may not be healthy is because you may not be being very open with them by this method, but trust me, it's probably the best route.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Re: my parents SOOO dont get me - August 27th 2009, 12:34 AM

I fight with my parents so often. We fight over the most ridiculous things. Sorry, I didn't really answer you. I'll just read through it again now...

I don't really have much advice except that you should act in a way that lets both you and your parents get what they want. Be proactive, and do things that will prevent crisis instead of trying to fix them once they start.

Last edited by somerandomkidmike; August 27th 2009 at 12:40 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: my parents SOOO dont get me - August 27th 2009, 01:04 AM

Hey Taylor,

That does sound very frustrating. I fight sometimes with my parents too, and sometimes being rational just doesn't work. Did you tell your mom that you were having a bad day? Maybe if you emphasize that you really aren't in a good mood your parents might lay off for a bit.

Also, if you don't feel like talking, maybe try leaving your parents a note. Just write down that you want to be left alone for a bit because you want to vent and you don't want to get mad at them for no reason. Sometimes having things on paper can make what you want to say more clear.

Give your parents some time to calm down and then try explaining to them that you were having a bad day and you didn't mean to explode at them. Hopefully they'll understand.

Take care.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread