TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

How am I going to explain this to her? (prom) - August 31st 2009, 12:50 AM

I'm a junior this year, and as you all know, this is supposed to be some 'magical year' and all that crap where everyone matures, people suddenly start getting along with everyone in their class, and everyone generally has a wild night at after prom or something.

But I don't want to go to prom. My mom's probably going to make me go. Honest to god, what's so special about it? I could see if you were some popular girl, or guy, and you were actually good enough to get a date and a whole group of friends to 'celebrate' your life or whatever, but, what about a loser like me? I do think of myself as pretty, but I don't really see a point in going if I'm not popular or outgoing enough to just ask a guy there. Is it really some 'life-changing' experience?

Besides, there are no guys anywhere around here to ask, except at the mall, where I might work. But even if he said yes, he'd probably think some other girl there was prettier than me anyway, or they would be like, 'You actually got a date?' and flirt with him. Why? Because my life just sucks so bad, the world would actually allow something awful like that to happen.

I need to tell my mom that I don't want to be involved in all this school spirit stuff that happens this year. If you read my previous posts, you'll have noticed that I hate my school, and I don't feel like going to all these dances. I have more important things to worry about, like getting out of this school, moving out to college, and never having to see these classmates of mine again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: How am I going to explain this to her? (prom) - August 31st 2009, 02:32 AM

Hey Nikki,

Normally I would say to just go to prom, spend some time there, try to enjoy yourself, and go home when you feel like it, but if you are this against it and you know already that you wont have fun, then staying home may be better. Prom is supposed to be a fun experience that you can have with your friends and classmates, but if you are sure you wont have fun, then don't force yourself to go.

If you are not fully sure that you wont have fun or that you find that you just want to give it a try, then I suggest you go. Like I said before, you can go home whenever you feel like it, so if you aren't having any fun, then you do have options.

I don't think you should base your decision to go on asking a guy and thinking he might spend his time with another girl. If you ask a guy, make sure he's a guy you like spending time with and that he respects you and will stand by you. Try to be confident in yourself. You're a good person, and I'm sure you're pretty too.

If you are looking for ways to tell your mom that you don't want to be involved in all of this school stuff, then I think you should say it just like you said it in your post. Let her know that you are more concerned with important things and you'd rather dedicate your time to planning ahead rather than school dances or spirit events.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you. It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought, and I support you with whatever you decide.

Good luck.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Cazzum Offline
Helper
Average Joe

Name: Callum

Re: How am I going to explain this to her? (prom) - August 31st 2009, 04:06 AM

Hello there Nikki,
I think that you should have more confidence in yourself, your probably a really nice person and you should go to Prom because even if you don't have a date, go with your friends? It should be a fun night to remember, maybe you'll even meet a guy at prom who is all over you? You never really know do you?

This Prom is only something you can do once, so you might aswell take the oppurtunity and go to it with some friends? If you like any guy at the moment why don't you ask him? It's a really scary thing to do, I find it really hard to ask people out too, and a lot of the time I have no confidence at all But I think that, since this is only something that you do once, you should.

If it's true and everyone in your class will start to suddenly get along, then Prom will be great, correct? Plus normally things like parties, and disco's bring people together and people who would normally be a social outcast are even involved so I personally don't think you will have any problems going (:

I hope you make the choice you think is right and do what you want, even though people will tell you to go, don't go just because they want you to, if you don't want to go, don't. But I think it would be a good thing, it would probably build your confidence aswell.

Cazzum. x

"If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die" - Genghis Khan

If you need advice:
PM

Send a message via MSN to Cazzum Send a message via Skype™ to Cazzum 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How am I going to explain this to her? (prom) - August 31st 2009, 09:22 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the advice! Just a quick heads-up though: I go to an all-girl school and there are no guys there, or anywhere, that I know of- and as a result, I am not crushing on anyone now. I don't know of many guy friends that I could ask to go to prom as just friends, either. I could just go to the mall and ask any guy I saw, but I want to be able to trust someone first and get to know them as a person.

However, if someone asked me to their prom, I would most likely go. That's what my sister did, and she was only asked by her friends.

Isn't there a senior prom, too?

Closed Thread