TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Angry My family wont stop arguing. - January 22nd 2009, 01:30 PM

Its got to stop! My 13 year old sister and my step-dad are CONSTANTLY arguing with each other. As soon as they can see each other, Jess will start winding Neil up and then Neil will snap and she'll laugh and he'll get wound up then she'll continue until she starts being extremely mean and saying how fat and stupid he is and that nobody cares.
This lasts hours. They go away from each other, come back and it starts all over again. I dont know how much I can put up with anymore, It's driving both me and mum insane.

Even without Jess it's bad enough, we went out for a meal today (without jess, she was moaning) and throughout the WHOLE time mum and neil were arguing. I just sat there and tryed to ignore it but this is going too far....
It makes me not want to be at home..
I mean I know a lot of people's families are a LOT worse than mine but with my fragile mental state its hard to keep myself sane.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: My family wont stop arguing. - January 22nd 2009, 06:06 PM

Hey Hannah,

I'm sorry to hear your family seems to be having a rough time. I know how upsetting fighting can be--it really upsets me to see my family argue. So much that sometimes, when things are rocky, I hide away in my room until it's over. It just wears you out, you know?

Have you confronted your family about how their arguments make you feel? By confront I don't mean to argue, but simply tell them, in an honest way, how it makes you feel. Tell them that it upsets you and that you would prefer they handle their disagreements in an adult manner.

I'm not sure that will work though, although I hope it does. If it doesn't, there are some things I do that help me. Try listening to music to drown out the fighting. Keep yourself busy with books, or things you enjoy. If you like to do things outside, go out and do them. If you can't do anything else, just remove yourself from the situation. Tell everyone you aren't willing to be a part of it, and leave.

I wish I had more to offer you. Good luck, Hannah. Again, I'm sorry you're going through this.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: My family wont stop arguing. - January 23rd 2009, 12:26 PM

Hi there Hannah,

Have you tried talking to each family member separately to ask them why they are always arguing? Maybe there is a dispute you can help solve or give suggestions to fix.

Also, maybe you could suggest to them to spend some time by themselves so they don't argue. Suggest that one could do something in one room while the other is doing something in another room.

Calling a family meeting might be good too. Then you can talk about it all together. Let them know what you think about them arguing all the time.

Nat.

Closed Thread