TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OMG Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Parental Problems - September 13th 2009, 01:00 AM

So, this is my first post and basically I'm venting, but advice is welcomed..

My family is crazy, not the goofy-ness that is normal in average families. My mother is semi normal, except for her defined opinions and inappropriate comments. She makes me feel bad for everything I do and I feel like I need her permission to go on a bike ride or change my clothes. My dad is obnoxious, he uses condescending comments and volume in debates to gain the upper hand. It's no wonder I have self-esteem issues. I can't have a normal conversation with them because they pull out the 'How dare you' card. I'll say that they make me feel bad and I don't understand their thinking. They go and say 'I can't believe you, we do so much for you!" And they do, they take care of me and make sure I have what I need. But it's how they treat me that makes me mad, and they always make sure I know what a burden I am on them. They blame my feeling on hormones and don't take me seriously, I'm fine though and this is how I really feel! I'm not over emotional, they just make me mad/sad. My parents are always on my back about academics. They pay for a private school and expect me to do well. I do, I just got high honors last year, thats better than honors! But they say the Principal's List is better and they pay for me to do well and not fail. I don't know what to do! My older brother (my only breath of fresh air) went away to college. Now I hate college for taking him away from me and leaving me to deal with them.. I'm starting to feel depressed and not really wanting to do anything except cry. Help..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
AliciaFTW Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alicia

Re: Parental Problems - September 13th 2009, 02:22 AM

It sounds like your dealing with the same problem everyone has. Your a teenager (I'm assuming) And your parents treat you like you aren't good enough. It's frustrating, I know. But you have to remember that they were teenagers too and they went through the same thing. They'll always say "Just wait til you have kids" And you think "I'm not going to be anything like you". You will. they push you too hard because they want you to do your absolute best. when they say their only doing what's best for you, they really are. you might not appreciate it right now, but in the future, you will. Everyone deals with this. And it's better to just go through it with your head held high instead of letting it get you down. nothing good will come from being sad because lets face it, they aren't going to change. As you get older, things will work out. Just be patient and stick it out.
  Send a message via AIM to AliciaFTW Send a message via MSN to AliciaFTW  
Closed Thread