TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

My mom was diagnosed with cancer. - September 24th 2009, 08:47 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

As the title says, my mom was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. I don't know much about this type of cancer but it was in her lymphnode. She had it removed when there was a lump in her neck, not knowing what it was. After it was removed they tested it and found cancer in it. I'm not allowed to tell any of my friends yet since my mom is scared it will easily spread around our small town. This is eating away at me and I'm terrified for my mother. She is going to have chemo treatment starting in a few weeks. I love her with all my heart and I never want anything to happen to her. She said it is treatable and has a very high success rate but that doesn't stop my worries. I was just wondering if anyone has advice that has been through this kind of thing before. Thanks.
~Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Re: My mom was diagnosed with cancer. - September 24th 2009, 09:26 PM

I know three people who've had lymphoma, two hodgkins, one non-hodgkins, all in their teens. Two out of the three survived and the third is still currently battling. The other two were caught early and needed about a year and a half to be treated and returned to health, with no apparent complications (Y)
I hope this gives you some hope?
x
  Send a message via MSN to That Sullen Piñata  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Liz [: Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Liz

Re: My mom was diagnosed with cancer. - September 24th 2009, 09:31 PM

Hey Alessa,

It sounds like your in some rough times. It is a very hard thing to go through, and it affects the whole community, directly and indirectly, but I assure you that everything happens for a reason, and you just have to stay strong.

In case you didn't know, my mom has breast cancer. She had "flu-like symptoms" for about a year, and the doctor said nothing was wrong. But he put her on blood pressure medication a few years back, so he gave some tests. Meanwhile, the were going through some xrays, and they spotted swelled up spots in her chest/neck area. Turns out it wasn't the meds. It was cancer. But it was like a hidden blessing because if she hadn't gone in for the medication issues, she would have been gone in about 2 weeks, because it was stage 4.

And chemotherapy does have a high success rate. My mom had chemotherapy for about one year, along with about 20 surgeries and radiation, and her cancer has shrunken from 12 inches (yes, very very large), to 4 inches!

My advice: Be strong, it's hard, but every tunnel has a light at the end. Whether you see it yet or not. Be there for her, and your family, and spend as much time with her as you can, as she needs the support, she has an emotional rollercoaster ahead of her.

My thoughts will be with you, and your mother, and your family and community.

Please, PM me anytime [:

Always,
Liz [:

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: My mom was diagnosed with cancer. - September 24th 2009, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definately try to be with her when I can. I know it is going to be hard though.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: My mom was diagnosed with cancer. - September 24th 2009, 09:42 PM

Hey,

I haven't been through this specifically. But my mom has a lot of medical issues. On top of them all, she did have a cancer scare one time. In all honesty, I know how hard it is to worry about your moms recovery but be positive for her, okay? Try and bring her up and tell her you have faith in her and her strength. She needs all the encouragement she can get. And most of all, she needs to believe that this can work. I do believe a positive attitude for the patient is a good thing to help the process of healing. As hard as it might be, try and be bright with your mom.

Also, ask questions when you have them. To the doctors or your mom. Try and clear up things that you're confused with if you need to. It might help you understand the process and in return make your outlook a little happier right now. Also, talk to your mom too. Spend time with her, and share feelings. You're both probably scared, and she knows that, but together you can get through it. You have each other. Try to vent your feelings and keep them open. If not with your mom, then at least in a journal of some sort. You can do this, and you're both strong people. You might start to feel more confident about this once you see results. I wish both you and your family all the luck in the world. I believe in you all. If you need anything, PM me anytime. Take care.

Have hope,
-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread