TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Delta 72 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matt

I feel like I don't belong - January 23rd 2009, 09:50 PM

I'm somewhat of a loner. Sure I have friends, but most of them belong to different social groups (band geeks, jocks, techies, emos, actors/actresses, skaters) and they usually just want to hang out with their friends from their respective groups. Even when they do invite me along, I feel as though I'm always the odd one out, no matter which group I hang out with. For example when I'm with my friend who hangs out with these guys that are obsessed with drinking and getting laid, I don't drink much if at all, and I'd really rather have a long term relationship with someone I actually like rather than just have sex with whoever will sleep with me. So I basically feel like I'm that nerd who doesn't want to "have fun". But when I'm with my friends who are in band, I sort of feel the opposite. I feel like I'm the only one who really wants to do stuff. I know that those are just two different examples, but I just can't seem to find a group that I can truely be myself in and its frustrating.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
stark Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I feel like I don't belong - January 23rd 2009, 10:03 PM

That's life. I hate to say it, but that's the way it is.

The best way to deal with it is to stop thinking of them as discrete groups. Think of people as persons, not as their social network. It's tough to do, but it's a tiny thought modification that can make you a lot more comfortable when hanging out with folks.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ElToroLoco Offline
Sometimes fun costs you...
Average Joe

Name: Zorro

Re: I feel like I don't belong - January 23rd 2009, 10:26 PM

at least u have friends.
i droped out of high school 2months ago, couldnt stand it, i have social phobia

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: I feel like I don't belong - January 24th 2009, 01:05 PM

Hi Matt,

It may take some getting used to being in different groups all at once, but I think it is good that you have friends in many different areas. You don't need to like doing everything that they do, and you shouldn't feel pressured by them. I would just suggest to have fun hanging out with them. Encourage them to do other things if they don't like getting out much and just have fun when you are with the others. You have your own values about drinking and sex, and if they are your friends then they will respect that.

If you would like to make new friends, maybe try joining some clubs or teams at school or get involved in your community.

All the best to you.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread