TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SystemError Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Over protective parents? - October 6th 2009, 09:41 PM

I'm turning 18 in a few weeks. Obviously 18 in the UK means I am legally an adult (yippee!) This means that I can now do all the things that my parents have promised me for years that I can do when I turn 18. For example, going out for a drink, going to a nightclub, staying over at my boyfriends house etc etc etc.
HOWEVER. In a conversation (arguement) between my mum and dad today its basically come out that although my mum is completely fine with me doing all the things that i've been told I can do, my dad is completely against it. He hates the idea of me going out for a drink for my birthday, he hates the thought I could go to a nightclub, he hates the fact that i've been told I can stay over at my boyfriends, he generally hates the idea that i'm growing up and that i'm not his baby anymore.
Honestly, I don't know what to do about it. I've never once complained about the childish rules they've given me because I know that when 18 comes around then I can do all the things I want to. No point complaining about anything now since technically i'm still a minor.
I find it all very hypocritical aswell. My mum was actually only a year older than me when she got married to my dad. And i'm pretty sure that that is a bigger thing than going out for a drink once in a while.

Do you think i'm being childish for thinking all of this? I'm unsure whether i'm just complaining about nothing. I'd just like some sort of input really.
Thanks for your time,

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LauraB Offline
unbreakable
Not a n00b

Name: Laura

Re: Over protective parents? - October 6th 2009, 09:56 PM

Congrats that you're almost an adult ! (: And I think that your dad is re-acting like this simply because you're his little girl, and he doesn't want you to grow up. But, the fact is that you're growing up. Maybe you should show him how responsible you are and maybe he'll understand more? Talk to him about it. My dad acted the same way when I was about to turn 18. He came around eventually!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CageCardinal Offline
Wandering
Average Joe

Name: Vi

Re: Over protective parents? - October 6th 2009, 10:02 PM

Nope, you're extremely good-natured. I've got a longer wait to being legal than you and I complain about feeling caged all the time...hence my username :P

You probably already know that your parents can't really stop you from leaving, so there's honestly nothing to worry about. If I were you I'd be disappointed in the hypocrisy of what your father is saying too, but I think that he is probably just trying to protect you...you know, it's a cliche, but that's all it probably is. My parents do the same thing, freaking out every time my birthday comes around cause they know that the years left until I can legally be an adult are fewer and fewer.

I say go out and have fun, and prove to your father that it's possible for you to engage in adult activities (as you're entitled) and be fairly responsible, and still come back and be "his girl."

Good luck. And early Happy Birthday

Closed Thread