TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Robin Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Mum not happy - October 7th 2009, 06:15 PM

My mum isnt happy, im going on a trip to america for 2 weeks in december, to meet a girl ive known for a couple of months on the internet, ive spoke to the girls family on msn and trust she is who she says she is, im sure this isnt anything sinister, and meeting people off the internet isnt something i would agree with, but shes offered me a place to stay, my mums worried im going to be robbed and killed and stuff, But im 18 and feel i could look after myself..... I was happy my mum agreed i could go but now shes worried.... and i dont want to do something she disagrees with

Last edited by Gaia; October 7th 2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: moved to Friends and Family

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Aston Offline
Average Joe

Name: Aston

Re: Mum not happy - October 7th 2009, 06:24 PM

Hey Robin.

Firstly, I hope you have a great time on your trip to America in December. I think it's natural for your mum to be worried because she loves and cares about you. I think any mum would be pretty worried as you see all these stories on the news about people who meet others off the internet, I know the majority of people are fine and it doesn't happen all that often but they forget about that and can't help but worry. Maybe you should let your mum talk to the girls family just so she can maybe be calmer about the situation?

I hope things work out for you and if you ever want to talk about anything then I'm more than happy to do so. Take care!
  Send a message via MSN to Aston  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Robin Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: Mum not happy - October 7th 2009, 06:44 PM

yer i mean i really dont want it to come to that, but i might have to, thing is her worrying makes me worry, i know the whole internet isnt out to kill or rape me, there real people, I need to do this for myself.....and my mum doesnt realise how hard it was asking her for help with money for the trip

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Mum not happy - October 7th 2009, 09:24 PM

Hey Robin,

I think it is perfectly normal for your mom to be worried about you going to meet someone from the internet. America is far away, and it's not like you are close to home in case something does actually go wrong. What I suggest you do is get this girl's phone number and have her parents talk to your parents. This may seem a little childish, but it would probably be worth easing your mom's nerves a bit. Just explain the situation to your friend and let her know why your mom is worried and that it might help her to calm down a bit if she could talk to the people you are staying with.

Also, it might help to assure your mom that you will stay in touch when you are away. Maybe you could write an email or phone your mom every few days. You don't have to do it every day, but just let her know you got there safely and that you are having fun.

I hope that your trip goes well.
All the best and stay safe

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread