TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
samb3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Need Advice ! Quickly - October 21st 2009, 11:31 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hello,
My name is Sam. Im 13 years old and I live in Geelong, Victoria. I currently live with my nan due to not behaving at home, however I will be subject to moving back with my parents.
At my parents I am severally depressed and very suicidal as I have attempted it before. My parents think everything about depression and being suicidal is just a big joke and they no longer want me living with my nan because they think im hiding away from everything.
I cannot live with my parents because when I am depressed and suicidal I steal things and they will again kick me out, as they have done this before at 10.00pm at night.
I do not feel safe at home as I am verbally abused and sometimes hit. I am supposed to be moving back in two weeks, however I am doing everything in my power not to move back with my parents.
I am currently contacting a social worker and trying to get my legal guardian rights signed over to my nan by force of the courts.
I am really out of options, please assit me and get back as soon as possible.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Need Advice ! Quickly - October 21st 2009, 09:51 PM

Hi Sam,

I'm sorry your situation at home isn't very emotionally supportive of what you've been going through. It's hard to get help when people don't seem to listen or think your feelings are just a joke. Contacting a social worker was a really good idea, and I hope they can help you stay at your gran's. You do not deserve to be hit and abused by your parents, and it's so important that you have a healthy home to stay in.

Have you talked to your gran about your feelings of depression and suicide? She might be able to help you get in touch with a counselor who could talk to you about these things and find out what's going on. Counseling really is a good idea, and if you are not able to get it after talking to your gran, parents, or the social worker, then maybe you could talk to a guidance counselor at your school. They should be able to help with your depression as well.

Stealing things is not a solution to your depression or suicidal thoughts. It might be a way of coping, but it will negatively impact you and your family if you continue. Instead of stealing, try doing some of these alternatives. They are alternatives to self harm, but I think that they could be used in this situation as well.

If you have feelings of suicide, talk to someone right away about it. Speak to your gran, phone up a friend, or call one of the hotlines on this page. You deserve to get some help, and if your parents are not going to give it to you, then you've got to find other resources to rely on.

Your feelings are not a joke at all and should be taken seriously. Do your best to stay at your gran's for now, but keep in touch with the social worker if you end up having to go back to your parents' house. Phone them if anything goes wrong.

I hope things start getting better for you. If you ever need to talk, please feel free to message me.
Take care.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
reziaie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Need Advice ! Quickly - October 22nd 2009, 11:23 AM

Hi, I'm also really sorry to hear about your situation.
I think that contacting a social worker really was the best that you could have done in the situation so you should feel pleased with yourself for that.
If things with the social worker start to take time and you are made to move back to your parents try not to let it get you down, think of your parents house as a place to sleep and that is all. You can visit your nan as much as you want maybe?
In terms of self harm, as much as it makes you feel you have control over yourself at the time it will only make things worse in the long run. Have you ever tried some sort of class eg kick boxing or something? These can really help when you have a lot of emotion that you need to get out.
from experience, keeping in emotions like that will not make things better and will probably lead to a destructive explosion in the future.
It's a really good idea to speak to your nan about how you are feeling because she can support you in getting help with social services.
I hope things get better for you soon!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ian

Re: Need Advice ! Quickly - October 22nd 2009, 11:53 AM

The social worker was a good choice! It sounds like the situation with your parents would be an unhealthy environtment for you to go back to. The social worker will have to review the case and there will probably be a lot of you talking with both your Gran and your parents. Hopefully, when everything is put out for the social worker to see, she/ he can help to get you situated with your gran where you're obviously much happier. Just know that we're here for you. You aren't alone. Good luck!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Need Advice ! Quickly - October 23rd 2009, 03:19 AM

That is a hard situation to be in, but you're doing all the right things to get yourself out of it. Have you talked to your nan about this? A big thing is, try to have some proof that your parents are unsuitable to be your guardians the way things are right now. It will all get better, it always does, I promise. Good luck, dahling!

Closed Thread