TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Annyoing - October 29th 2009, 02:20 PM

When my friend hates something there is NO way in hell he can change his mind. I swear he has a problem, he hates about 75% of people he knows, I just don't understand how someone can have that much hate in them. I'm REALLY shocked he gets on with me, I'm annoying.

He seems to like films/books etc. most people can't stand (including myself) but gets really offended/defensive when someone says something bad about them. He can't take the piss out of himself. I can. If someone took the piss out of my fav film in a witty/funny way and had actual reasons as to why they think it's bad I'd laugh and take their opinion into account. I admit I like some films which are easy to take the piss out of, I didn't mind the Hannah Montana film, holy crap that's easy to mock.

He's just so small minded lately it's like if he likes something it HAS to be good. My fav film is The Butterfly Effect, he has never watched that in his life and he calls it sh!t because it's not the type of film he would normally watch/like. He has no valid reasons as to why he thinks it's bad /: the story is great, the acting is great... except I didn't think Melora Walters was good in that film, but once again I can admit there are a few flaws. If he opened his mind for just a split second maybe he would like it. Obviously not everyone will love this film as people have different tastes I just think it's stupid for them to call it "shit" because they don't like films like that. I don't like many musicals but I don't say every musical is bad because I don't personally like them.

He hasn't read/watched Twilight either. I'm the first person to admit I don't like Twilight, but that's because I think it's badly written and Edward has no flaws which isn't a good thing in a book. He hates it because everyone else likes it, that's just a crap reason to hate something.

Yet when he likes something and someone gives it criticism he goes insane. It's like he can give it but can't take it -_______- ugh, it just annoys me.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
The Kira Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Melody

Re: Annyoing - October 29th 2009, 08:29 PM

I have had this problem with my best friend and I know how annoying it is. I always wanted to smack the crap out of her when she would get started. But this isn't just about movies and books, is it? Try solving your problem like I did.
I just stoped talking to her. Not ignoring or anything. I didn't start talking to her and if she would try to have a conversation with me I would just be cold to her and wave it off... After a few times my friend walked up to me and started talking to me in a raised voice. And I am the type of person thet you do not want to get nasty with. So I screamed at her, like, who the hell are you to yell at me? You kept bitching and getting bossy, so I stoped talking to you, got a problem? And she just piped down. We eventualy made up and everything was better cuz she was not acting like a bitch anymore.
I think you shoud do about the same, but dodn't get nasty with your friend. Remember, Be cool and be cold...
Good luck!

From Loveless...
  Send a message via AIM to The Kira  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Annyoing - October 29th 2009, 10:34 PM

Hi Ceilidh,

I must say this happens a lot with me and my group of friends. We all have such different tastes in movies and music, so something always ends up being called 'shit' by one person and loved by another. It gets annoying sometimes, and I can tell you are getting really annoyed by this, but there is no easy fix to changing your friend's opinion.

When he has a close-minded opinion, maybe just tell him he should be more open minded and give things a chance. You could even suggest that you watch a movie at your house or something and decide what you think after. The other thing to do is just tell him you don't want to talk about movies with him if he's going to be so narrow minded and move on to another topic. Once this happens a few times he may stop talking about it with you.

In the end it will be your friend who suffers for not giving things a chance. There are good aspects of movies of a genre you would not normally watch, it just takes an open person to see them. So, in other words, he's the one missing out

Keep your open mind and don't let this friend influence you. It sounds like you're making some pretty good decisions while respecting what others have to say.

Take care.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread