TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sharealaugh. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bridget

my non role-model. - November 12th 2009, 08:04 PM

dad's are supposed to be great, right?
i watch movies and wish my dad would be like them. that kind of father that gets up early to make their daughter breakfast on their birthday, or just tells them they look nice today.

mine in the complete opposite.

he calls me horrible things, and tells me he "is waiting for the day I turn 18 so he won't have to support me", on a daily basis.
he has hit me before, but my mom convinced me it was trying to teach me something.
he has a mental health problem, and it's affecting the whole family.
my mom can't stand living.
my little siblings are noticing the hatred he has for me, and my mutual attitude toward him.

i don't know what to do.
i want to run away, and live with my best friend.
help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jaimelu Offline
Not a n00b

Re: my non role-model. - November 14th 2009, 07:45 PM

maybe yoo should tell other fam memebers? talk to a school counselor. it sounds lik the whole family is suffering from this...no one should suffer. try talkin to yur mom. if she 'dsoent want to liv', she'll be abandoning yoo and yur siblings, and she'll be no bette tthan yur dad. tallk to someone outisd eof the house; a teacher, a counselor, another parent, etc. good lcuk. rmemeber, yur never alone.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: my non role-model. - November 15th 2009, 07:23 PM

Hi Bridget,

Sometimes it really does suck when families are not like the ones on TV or in the movies. I'm sure we all wish they were at some point in our lives. Your dad does not sound like he's been very nice to you, and I think it's awful that he's not putting effort into strengthening his relationship with you.

Your dad does not sound like a very good person. Hitting you was not a right thing to do and you did not deserve it. I understand that he has a mental health problem and that may be impairing his judgment, but I do not think that is any excuse for him to harm you or speak to you like he has.

Is your dad getting any kind of professional help or counseling right now? It might help him to speak to someone and get some of his feelings sorted out. If he is on any kind of medication, maybe he could find if that is changing his behaviour in any way.

I think it would be a good idea to talk to your mom about how you feel about your dad. It sounds like she also isn't feeling too good about the situation at home, and it may help both of you to talk to one another about it. Find out if she would be open to something like family counseling. Talking to a counselor and having a mediator might help you all to come to some sort of compromise.

If you can't talk at home, then I suggest you visit a guidance counselor at school. They are there to help with these kinds of things and they might be able to give you suggestions on how you can cope with some of the things going on at home.

I hope things work out for you.
Take care.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread