TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jennyg925 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenny

Exclamation How Do I Tell My Parent's That I Used To Self-Harm Myself? - November 13th 2009, 10:04 AM

Basically, the title explains why I need help. However, to use more detail, I haven't cut for about one month now and no one knows that I did. I mean I'm the type of girl you see all the time with her friends laughing, smiling, just being happy and enjoying life. But I'm really not.

I've self-harmed myself, ie. cutting, for about almost a year now. They're all scars, most have healed, but still, no one knows that I used to cut. I guess that it's good I stopped and should put this all in the past, but I feel guilty. Like I need someone to know that I did what I did. And I want that someone to be my parents. But I don't know how to tell them.

"Oh, yeah. So mom, I finally stopped cutting myself. Isn't that great!" *shows her my scars and scabs, while my mom is having a heart attack*

Yeah, I don't think that's going to roll over too well. I guess it's good that I'm going to tell someone. Someone being the most important people in your life, parents. But I don't know how to break it to them gently.

First of all, how do I start on that topic of being depressed when they didn't even know I was sad to begin with! I hid it so well! I guess that's one of the many things I regret when I had a broken heart.

Yeah, I was depressed due to a broken heart. And you want to know something pathetic? I'm sixteen now, and the dude that broke my heart and I dated when we were fourteen. Then the whole year of being fifteen, I was depressed. My birthday is in September, so it's like the school year almost. Anyway, I started to cut myself when I was fifteen and a half and just stopped last month.

And I don't even know why I stopped. I mean, I slowed down during the summer, being that it was somewhat hard with the hot weather and swimming in a bikini. But I still did it. I guess I'm finally over heartbreak. But I don't know about depression.

Sorry if this is long, it is my first thread. So, please any ideas on how to tell my parents gently would be awesome and you'd be greatly loved by me!

Thanks!!! Bye!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Umberto Offline
Average Joe

Re: How Do I Tell My Parent's That I Used To Self-Harm Myself? - November 13th 2009, 11:00 AM

do you need to tell them now? Youve only been SH free for a month (mega congrats btw!) and they will be still very worried about you and consious that you might relapse. Maybe it would be better to tell some friends first and your parents in a few months from now so you can reassure them that you are truely better.

If you do decide to tell them now, then you should sit them down and explain first about your depression and how you recovered before showing them the scars. Youll really need a long serious talk about everything, i cant think of an easy way to do it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tearxstained Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Aly

Re: How Do I Tell My Parent's That I Used To Self-Harm Myself? - November 13th 2009, 01:02 PM

Hey, I'm glad you have stopped SHing, thats awesome!
I guess to tell your parents you could try to write them a note/letter explaining everything? I bet it would be pretty hard to get the words out especially because they would be interupting and so a letter could be the smoothest way, then once they have read it and you are both on the same page you can talk about it.

Or, you can just sit them down and tell them that they will not enjoy what you are going to tell them, ask them to please let you talk until you're finished because what your going to say isn't easy. Stay calm and hope for the best, I guess.

Good luck!
Aly

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why we call it the present.
<3 <3 <3
Gotta Love Kung Fu Panda !

(#4 (permalink)) Old
jennyg925 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenny

Re: How Do I Tell My Parent's That I Used To Self-Harm Myself? - November 20th 2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umberto View Post
Youve only been SH free for a month (mega congrats btw!) and they will be still very worried about you and consious that you might relapse. Maybe it would be better to tell some friends first and your parents in a few months from now so you can reassure them that you are truely better.
Umberto, that's a good idea. I've only told two of my friends. I'm scared what everyone else will think. But they took it okay. And said that they'd always be there for me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearxstained View Post
I guess to tell your parents you could try to write them a note/letter explaining everything? I bet it would be pretty hard to get the words out especially because they would be interupting and so a letter could be the smoothest way, then once they have read it and you are both on the same page you can talk about it.
Aly, that's like the best idea ever! Especially since my family interrupts each other all the time! Thank you!

I'm just worried how they'll react.

Last edited by jennyg925; November 20th 2009 at 06:04 AM.

Closed Thread