TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Pavan

How would you react if... - November 22nd 2009, 08:57 PM

Wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move.

Basically, my really good friend lost his guitar when it was coming back from repair. The van got stolen and was found burned down 50 miles from where it was taken.

He's absolutely gutted that he's lost his guitar and it means he has to quit his band for a while until he can get a new one.

I'm on a pretty good wage where I work and was thinking about saving up and buying him one for Christmas.

How would you react if you lost something really important to you and a friend spent a lot of money on replacing it?

Would you think it good, bad, too generous or just weird?

PS Am I just crazy insane to WANT to do this?

Let me know. This is really something I'm considering!

Thanks in advance!x

What a shame, what a shame
To judge a life that you can't change
The choir sings, the church bells ring
So won't you give this man his wings?
What a shame to have to beg you to
See we're not all the same, what a shame

Last edited by Woo! Imagination xD; November 22nd 2009 at 09:14 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Woo! Imagination xD  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Pavan

Re: How would you react if... - November 24th 2009, 06:15 PM

Is ANYBODY going to reply to this ?

What a shame, what a shame
To judge a life that you can't change
The choir sings, the church bells ring
So won't you give this man his wings?
What a shame to have to beg you to
See we're not all the same, what a shame
  Send a message via MSN to Woo! Imagination xD  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Gnome Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How would you react if... - November 24th 2009, 06:20 PM

i would be ecstatic tbh, however depending on how close you are to the person it might give the wrong idea...

he who controls the present controls the past.
he who controls the past controls the future.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: How would you react if... - November 24th 2009, 07:29 PM

I would be devistated if one of my guitars was stolen and destroyed. I have more than one I could play, but many have some sort of sentimental value... plus I love all of them. So I totally feel for this guy.
Since you guys are good friends, then I don't think it'd be too creepy. Especially if you have a decent amount of money. If you were broke and saved up forever to buy him a guitar... that'd be another story. lol

However, if this guy is anything like me, he wants the right guitar. Do you have any idea what kind of guitar he previously had? They come in lots of shapes and sizes and sounds and colors really... Mostly quality though. I'd think about talking to him about it before you buy it, even though thatd be an awesome surprise. You don't want to buy the wrong thing. Unless you know what he had, in which case go ahead an surprise him with it!

I'd be really, really grateful if a friend bought me a guitar after loosing mine. Though I'd probably also feel like they were a better friend than me or something... idk. I'd only do it if you guys were really good friends though. I might be biased though, since I absolutly love guitars. lol

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Arie. Offline
Olive you :D
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How would you react if... - November 24th 2009, 08:41 PM

I definitely consider that a generous thing to do for your friend, I don't any play instruments though but you know if I lost something, a valuable possession that I can't possible live without I be kind devastated about it but I'm sure your friend will be very surprised that came from you. I really hope he doesn't have to quit the band though.

I hope you have the strength to start all over again.- F.Scott Fitzgerald
  Send a message via MSN to Arie.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How would you react if... - November 24th 2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo! Imagination xD View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move.

Basically, my really good friend lost his guitar when it was coming back from repair. The van got stolen and was found burned down 50 miles from where it was taken.

He's absolutely gutted that he's lost his guitar and it means he has to quit his band for a while until he can get a new one.

I'm on a pretty good wage where I work and was thinking about saving up and buying him one for Christmas.

How would you react if you lost something really important to you and a friend spent a lot of money on replacing it?

Would you think it good, bad, too generous or just weird?

PS Am I just crazy insane to WANT to do this?

Let me know. This is really something I'm considering!

Thanks in advance!x
I would be very greatful if someone got me something that went missing of mine. Guys sometime want to do it on their own...try it. Sometimes people can surprise you. And it will also show your friend that you care about what they need/want and that you are able to help them.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: How would you react if... - November 24th 2009, 09:13 PM

If I lost something and I friends got me what I lost again I would feel special. I would love it.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
[Formerly VLie27]
Not a n00b

Name: Natalie

Re: How would you react if... - November 25th 2009, 01:23 AM

I know if my guitar was stolen, I'd probably be having a total melt down. Where one of my good friends to buy me one to replace it, I would definitely feel indebted towards them, I'd also be very, very greatful!

However, you have to make sure that you get the right guitar. If he's in a band, that probably means he had a really decent one, which means you're looking at spending around $500+

Your best bet is to figure out what kind of guitar he had, then check out ebay to see how cheap you can get it. You can find some quality guitars there for dirt cheap. I only spent $200 on my guitar that was in brand new condition that would cost $500 if I bought it in store, plus it came with a case that would usually cost another $50-$100.

If you have any other questions if you're not too knowledgeable on guitars, feel free to PM me any time

"If we make it through, And I can save you
With this heart I know, I will carry us home."

Send a message via MSN to ScarlettSapphire  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: How would you react if... - November 25th 2009, 10:50 PM

if you're good friends with him then no i don't think it's weird.. it's very generous, but not weird. if you're not that close then it might look kinda strange. just make sure you buy one that he wants!.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: How would you react if... - November 25th 2009, 10:56 PM

Hi there,

I think you are very generous to want to give your friend a new guitar for Christmas, and I would be so happy if one of my friends did something like that for me. I'm sure your friend would be very grateful if you do decide to go through with this gift.

One thing to keep in mind is that an instrument is a very personal thing. Often people like to choose out exactly what they want in an instrument and make sure it is the right one for them. Maybe you could ask your friend or a band member of his what kind of guitar he had before and what made it special for him. Maybe there was a certain feature with that guitar than another one wouldn't have.

If you don't want to talk to him or someone else for fear that they may ruin the surprise of the gift, then maybe stop by a guitar store with your friend sometime and get him to try a few out. Just ask which one he would get or is planning to get once he saves enough money. Find out which one he likes best and then surprise him with it for Christmas.

You sound like a really great friend, and I'm sure he'll be ecstatic about the present. Just make sure you have the money right now and that this is something you can afford. Instruments can be really pricey.

Take care.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread