TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lost1215 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Outsider in the Family - November 22nd 2009, 11:17 PM

I wouldn't say my life is bad at all- I have a family who loves me very much, a caring big brother, and an adorable little sister. But the problem is that my views on life are extremely different than my family. My family is Muslim/Arab, so their traditions and views on life are rather strict. I was born and raised here in the States, so I'm much more liberal. Recently, everything I believe and think about life has changed- religion, life, etc. My parent's don't quite know everything, but they've noticed this HUGE change in my personality, and we fight quite often over stupid, but serious things- they say they don't know who I am anymore and that they don't like the way I think. I do very well in school, work two jobs, pay for my own stuff- but I still live at home. I'm about to enter my second semester of my sophomore year in college and transfer to a big university- but they won't let me move out because our culture doesn't allow for girls to leave their families until they get married.

I know that as soon as they find out about all my changes that I've been keeping inside of me, they won't even want me. I'm just lost. My brother, who knows everything, keeps telling me that I'm selfish and don't care about anybody but myself.
It's not that I don't love my family to death, but I'm tired of living of life the way THEY want me to. I'm not happy.

What do you guys think I should do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Outsider in the Family - November 24th 2009, 08:16 PM

It can be difficult when you're belief system doesn't match that of your parents and questioning your beliefs and fighting with your parents is normal at 17. When it comes to moving out you can legally leave at 18 as long as you are capable of doing so, they can't legally stop you.

Closed Thread