TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Some weirdness... - December 3rd 2009, 05:51 AM

Hello all.
It's a little strange for me to be posting in this forum again, especially since I haven't been on that much lately. But anyway, here goes:

I started going to group therapy last month (for depression, anxiety, etc.) and so far it's been really helpful. However, most of the other kids in the group have been in trouble with the law (for drugs, theft, vandalism, etc.) and I haven't. It wasn't a problem to me at all, but recently I gave my phone number to one of the other girls (We'll call her "A"). When she called me, she seemed totally different than how she was when I met her. She's bipolar, so mood swings are to be expected, but it seemed like she had put up a front when I met her, and then let it down when we were talking on the phone. (I actually want to get help, so I'm honest in group. I thought A felt the same way but that doesn't seem to be the case.)

A also mentioned that she was supposed to get drugs from someone and she was mad at them for not showing up to give them to her...I thought she was trying to recover from drug addiction. It turns out she's just bitter and is lying in group so she won't be in trouble.

She seemed nice, intelligent, and honest when I met her. Now she just seems mean, stupid, and dishonest. And the only reason I gave her my number is because my mother told me to. My mother doesn't think, so why the hell was I listening to her? Group members aren't supposed to exchange phone numbers! I knew it was a bad idea, so WHY did I listen to her?

Help, please!

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Some weirdness... - December 3rd 2009, 07:09 PM

just cutoff the connection. Tell her not to call you anymore. And if you want explain to her that you want to be well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Some weirdness... - December 5th 2009, 03:59 PM

Hi Laura,

It's really sad when you find out someone isn't who you expected them to be, and it's really unfair to have had them lie to you. Giving out your phone number seemed like the right thing to do because you thought you were giving it to a completely different person, but it turns out they weren't who they made themselves out to be. Even though it was a bad idea, it seemed like the safe thing to do- and your mom told you to do it- so try not to be too hard on yourself.

I think you should talk to your mom and explain that this person keeps on calling you and telling you things you don't want to hear. If you can, then tell the person you don't want to hear those things from her and would rather just talk in group instead of have her call you. Blocking the number would also be a good idea.

Talking to the person who runs the group and explaining that this person is putting up a front and really does need help might also be a good idea. It's up to you whether you choose to do this or not, but it sounds like this person actually does need help.

If you can't block the girl's number, then the best thing to do would be to ignore her calls.

Take care.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread