TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Princess Luna

I don't think before I speak - March 3rd 2010, 12:42 PM

-didn't know where to put this-

I've always been the same. I say things and then I think crap! I shouldn't have said that. I say things that are meant to be funny but then realise some people may find it a bit offensive. I have quite a dark/sarcastic sense of humour. I also say things in front of people that I shouldn't say to them >.> I need to stop doing it. I just find it really hard to stop, think and then talk. How could I try and stop doing this?

I tend to swear a lot in front of children and then realise I shouldn't too >.>

Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: I don't think before I speak - March 3rd 2010, 04:21 PM

Hey Ceilidh,

I know exactly what you mean! I often say things then think "oops, shouldn't have said that!" There is no easy answer to it really. If you feel you can't think before you talk, then make sure you say sorry to whoever has been offended by it. However I really think you should try to stop swearing in front of children - they will view you as a role model. I think you should try to think before you speak, try extra hard to slow down if you can.

Hope that helps in any way,
Take care.
Anna

(#3 (permalink)) Old
...and pitchfork red
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rosary

Re: I don't think before I speak - March 5th 2010, 08:43 PM

Regarding the "oops, shouldn't've said that", that's something you'd have to work hard at to stop. See if you can get yourself to properly think before speaking, even if that results in you talking slower. If you're saying things in front of people that will offend them, make sure you sincerely apologise, and don't be afraid to admit you speak without thinking. Make it clear you don't want to offend anyone, and if you didn't mean it, that's even better and throw that into the apology too. But if you did mean it, and just should've kept it to yourself, then you just need to make sure you keep that thought inside your head. Though directness and honesty can be pretty good traits, they can also get you into a lot of trouble.

About the swearing in front of kids, this is probably because you swear a lot usually? If you do, it'll become a normal part of your vocabulary, so if you cut down on swearing in general, it'll be easier to keep it in around the small people. Someone I know found it helpful to go "why oh why oh why oh why" repeatedly until he stopped wanting to swear. If you catch yourself about to, then turn it into a random word. It'll help if it's not something obvious, like sugar :P

Good luck!
r&r

razorsandrosary
PM for a free hug. Terms and conditions do not apply.

Life is just Tragedy vs Miracle
and we're all miracles inside

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: I don't think before I speak - March 6th 2010, 02:31 AM

I know it might be hard, but just try and talk slowly and think about what your going to say. I know its easier said then done. But just try and think, could be this be offensive or taken the wrong way?

As for the swearing, the same thing applies. Maybe instead of saying a swear word say a random word like peanuts or something, if you can help it. Try and catch yourself before you say anything with swearing or things that could be taken the wrong way.

I hope this helps.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread