TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lnd1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

feeling so alone - February 2nd 2009, 03:58 PM

about 2 years ago i found out my mum was having a relationship with a man other than my dad, she explained itand eventually regained my trust. about 1 year later i found messages on her phone from someone else and eventually, recently, it all came out. mostly it was really hard seeing my dad hurt but my mum said there was a lot of stuff i dindt know and it wasnt that simple, but that my parnets would be fine and it was ok. i dont trust her at all now and as my brother has moved away i feel so alone being here and being so distant from my parents. most of all it's so hard to know that all my childhood memories and happy family memories are tainted and maybe they were never happy. sorry if this seems like im moaning, but i just felt i had to let it out and talk to people about it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: feeling so alone - February 2nd 2009, 05:44 PM

Hi there,
Welcome to TeenHelp. I'm glad you posted about this.

It's important to realize that your mom may not have been doing this when you were a child and that your memories are just how they were. How you remembered them before is how they should be and something this recent shouldn't change that. Just remember what actually happened instead of what came afterward.

I know it must be uncomfortable being alone with your parents. Would you feel comfortable spending some time with your dad and talking with him about this? Or maybe a close friend? You don't need to feel alone at home. You could always hang out with some friends and try to get this off your mind.
Just remember that what your mom did isn't your problem. Your parents both care about you and I'm sure they still want you to be happy. It will take a long time to heal your trust with your mom and it may not happen at all depending on how you feel, but don't let your childhood get ruined by that.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bishougen Offline
<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Helen

Re: feeling so alone - February 12th 2009, 05:09 AM

I was in the same situation a few years ago and my parents did end up getting divorced (although it was not specifically over the other man at the time.) The important thing to realize is, regardless of the state of your parents relationship, it doesn't mean they'd love you any less. Infact it was probably the happy moments of family life you remember so vividly that kept them together. The care and feeling of mutual responsibility in a family relationship is different to the passion between a man and woman, and the depletion of one doesn't necciarily render the other meaningless. Trust in the love your family has for you and when your dad's had the time to recover a little, have a talk with him. You need to let your feelings out to recover too. Best of luck to you and your family.

Closed Thread