TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

Conversation Failure :/ - April 6th 2010, 09:00 PM

Sooo, I've always been a quiet person.

And my friends lately have been expecting me to like, lead conversations.

Now I've come to realize I'm a failure at this, lol.

I just can't think of what to say to make a conversation keep going with people :/

And now I have a new boyfriend, and we've already gone though a lot of awkward silences...

Help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Conversation Failure :/ - April 6th 2010, 09:48 PM

Hey Lily,

There isn't anything wrong with being a quiet person.. I'm a quiet person as well! I dislike leading conversations depending on who it is with but it is something that will improve as life carries on. To be honest though, you can talk about absolutely anything! Is there a film you have recently seen, a book you have read, something you enjoy doing? Talk about what you did the previous night, your weekend plans. Anything that could encourage a response from others. I know that can be hard though.

Awkward silences are normal with most people. When you both become more comfortable with each other, they will happen less and less. The silences may still happen but they won't be so awkward.

PM me if you ever need a chat.
Take care.
Anna

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kristen♡ Offline
A puzzle in the making
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kristen

Re: Conversation Failure :/ - April 6th 2010, 11:04 PM

Hey Lily! You sound a lot like me :P Anna is right, you can talk about anything! I usually just talk about something that happened to me that day, and see where that leads. I know it's not always easy to start a conversation, and sometimes your ideas don't always work, but you can always chose a different subject! Ask about the person's interests or hobbies. Talk about music or movies you like. Ask about pets, anything! Even crack a joke or two, if you want.

Look around where you're standing or sitting. If there's something worth pointing out, mention it! Say their name a few times throughout the conversation too, but not too much! It gets the person's attention. Eye contact is also nice, it helps them understand that you really are listening. Just remember not to stare, that may seem a little creepy :P

If they say something you think you can have a small talk about, run with it! In other words, keep the conversation going.

You'll get better, trust me! And also like Anna said, as you get to know each other better, it'll be easier. Good luck!

Kristen

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.
And maybe we’ll never know most of them.
But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from,
we can still choose where we go from there.
We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

PM|VM|EMAIL
Colyn Riley ♥

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Conversation Failure :/ - April 7th 2010, 02:42 AM

Oh Lily. Is your boyfriend okay with that though ? I see that he isn't in that they are awkward silences. But let him know you are quiet and just comfortable like that if he doesn't know.

I too am a quiet guy, and I don't force conversations unless I have something to say. So just stay calm things will start to come about but you need to give yourself time and just stay calm. Don't worry Lily.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

Closed Thread