TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
broken Offline
larawood.deviantart.com
Not a n00b

Name: Rissa

Red face lost friend - April 7th 2010, 03:07 AM

I wanna say I met Molly in seventh grade, but I could be wrong. Back then, I had been forced into an anti-social world, and Molly was a step in the right direction to get out. Too bad she was the only one who was willing to help. I'm sure there could have been others, but there never were.

Molly and I connected. We listened to Adventures in Odyssey at night; she brought me to her school; and we watched movies and goofed off to my Animaniacs CD. There was never a shortage of fun. But I left her then-home in Witchita, went back to Indiana, and was thrown right back into the pit of anti-socializm. I was forced to be anti-social for so long that I began to like it. I'll never be the same girl Molly knew, I'll never be social again. She's changed too. Pretty, popular, and currently the type of girl to get caught up with her "crowd".

I want to rekindle my friendship with Molly. We now live in the same state, neither Indiana nor Kansas. We live fifteen minutes apart. I never see her, and when I do, she usually doesn't notice me. I miss having friends. She was one of my first true friends. Now that I look back, I really only had a few true friends, and none anymore. But who wants to have a friend with a baby?

I haven't had friends for a long time, and I want to regain my friendship with Molly. I don't know how. To be myself is social suicide since I'm socially awkward, and she's 100% socially inclined. I want to show her that she can still have innocent, goofy fun with an old friend. I want to be my old self.

Short of seeing a hypnotist, how do I do this?

~Rissa~

Send a message via MSN to broken  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
emoticon Offline
confused.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle

Re: lost friend - April 7th 2010, 03:27 AM

i can't count how many time i've wanted to be my old self again. sure i was shy but i was so much nicer. But thinking that you need to be your old self again. Isn't going to help, it's only going to make things worse. it's only going to hold you back. You are who are and people will accept it and so should you. Now i think you should talk to her and tell her that you want to have the friendship you guys used to. If your worried about what you should talk about. ( i know how that feels) then talk about how you have changed, talk about anything that comes to mind, or you could simply catch up since it seems like you havent talked to her in a while. hope this helped!

" One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. "

i wonder when i'll finally jsut start accepting myself, when i'll stop saying i wish i could be like that person.

i have facebook, and myspace. and you can ask for it. :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to emoticon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
broken Offline
larawood.deviantart.com
Not a n00b

Name: Rissa

Re: lost friend - April 7th 2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoticon View Post
i can't count how many time i've wanted to be my old self again. sure i was shy but i was so much nicer. But thinking that you need to be your old self again. Isn't going to help, it's only going to make things worse. it's only going to hold you back. You are who are and people will accept it and so should you. Now i think you should talk to her and tell her that you want to have the friendship you guys used to. If your worried about what you should talk about. ( i know how that feels) then talk about how you have changed, talk about anything that comes to mind, or you could simply catch up since it seems like you havent talked to her in a while. hope this helped!
I moved from Indiana a long time ago. Coming into a new school, I was myself, I accepted myself, I accepted my peers. No one accepted me then. Three years later, my class of 2010 - only two people talk to me. Progress, right? One of my peers talk to me because he's my husbands best friend. People don't keep an open mind when it comes to me. I don't know why, but it's been the truth for a very long time. I accept it now. I don't mean to be rude, but don't tell me I'll be accepted by being myself, because I've tried that my entire life. So far, it hasn't worked. Other than "be yourself", I appreciate your advice.

~Rissa~

Send a message via MSN to broken  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lu82 Offline
HI EVERYONE!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: lost friend - April 8th 2010, 03:58 AM

Riz, I know how you feel, i lost a friend 3 weeks ago( he told me he was my friend) he knew stuff about me( stuff not that many people knew) and i knew stuff about him, but one day he just left without saying goodbye and it hurts me because i really liked him, i been texting him but he just doesnt answer. And he was the only person i ever had closest to a real friend.

PM if you want a friend or if you just want to talk

Guenhwyvar roared a fourth time and darted off through the grove, a black arrow aimed at the heart of doom.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: lost friend - April 8th 2010, 04:41 AM

If you like who you are right now, but your friend doesn't, then that's her problem, not yours. If you don't like who you are right now, then CHANGE. Easier said than done, I know, but that's the wonderful thing about the "social" world: you can always change your surroundings, your habits, etc. in order to ultimately change your social life. Doing so does NOT mean that you are betraying yourself... you're just adapting different values and desires, by wanting to become a more sociable person.

I don't know what you experienced during your middle and high school years... but if it was truly severe, then yes, you may benefit from seeking psychological help. You don't have to take medication, you don't have to be locked up... sometimes, just talking to someone, and getting other people's expert advice, can help you gain a better understanding of yourself.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread