TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
michaell Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michael

MY MOM IS USING ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE INSTEAD OF TREATING ME, HELP - April 9th 2010, 08:11 PM

Ok , so my mom is into this alternative medicine stuff lately. She is VERY gullible and she is one of those people who prefer faith over reason, she is very religious and she also does everything (religious or not) out of blind faith rather than reason, she doesnt need evidence to convince her of things, she just has faith in it. She has started this ridiculous anti-fungal diet that is ridiculous (she gives me these weird antifungal herbs to take , took me off my antibiotics for my acne, put me on a strict diet, etc.). She thinks its a cure-all , in that she thinks that it will prevent nearly every single problem, she even took me off antibiotics. She even told me that it helps aspergers (which i have). my doctor (who is one of the best mental health doctor in my area) said that he believes the diet is a bunch of nonsense. Yet she (after a month of looking at only anti-fungal related things almost all day long on the internet) now thinks that the doctor doesnt know what hes talking about. She even claims that Adderall (which i am on) and Lexapro (which i am also on) are not effective (because she read that the fungal diet is better), she also wants to take me to this doctor who believes in all this antifungal stuff and claims its a cure for autism (this is not accepted by the medical community at all) . she wants to take me off adderall and lexapro too. when i tell her that she doesnt know what she is talking about and i remind her that my doctor doesnt believe it she will say "he doesnt know anything about this diet. doctors havent realized the truth about this yet. besides he doesnt believe in God." . What can i do to stop this? im 17 and i have 6 months until im 18 (when they cant force or withdraw medical treatments). how do i stop this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: MY MOM IS USING ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE INSTEAD OF TREATING ME, HELP - April 9th 2010, 08:21 PM

If your mother insists on denying you needed treatment in favor of this fungal junk then you may want to contact DCF.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: MY MOM IS USING ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE INSTEAD OF TREATING ME, HELP - April 9th 2010, 08:49 PM

There are government agencies (ex. CPS, or Child Protective Services) that may be able to do something for you. It's dangerous for your mom to abruptly take you off of medication for Asperger's Syndrome. Furthermore, by using an unconventional method that has NOT been proven to be an effective treatment for Asperger's Syndrome, your mother is essentially guilty of child negligence.

Try talking to your doctor about your legal options... he's probably dealt with similar situations in the past. When there is a conflict of interests, and it is unclear whether or not your legal guardian has your best interests in mind, there may be a way to force your treatment to continue as usual, until a judge can make a decision. By the time THAT happens, you may already be 18, and able to make your own decisions in regards to treatment. =)

Good luck!

Last edited by PSY; April 9th 2010 at 09:09 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Vimtoad Offline
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: MY MOM IS USING ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE INSTEAD OF TREATING ME, HELP - April 10th 2010, 09:24 AM

you could sit down with your mum and the doctor and discuss it over with the doctor while your mums with you ? my mums simmilar, she is refusing to get me a doctor appointment or get me help because she does not want me on anti depressants (i dont want to be on them either but i need them). so shes just buying me vitamins yes they are helping me sleep but how i feel has not changed. maybe sit down with your mum and your doctor ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread