TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dropsofjupiter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Feel insecure about my weight in front of family - April 10th 2010, 06:48 PM

Lately, my mum has been telling me that I'm getting fat, or that I need to watch what I eat, etc. I didn't think I was particularly fat until she started saying this. I worked out my BMI yesterday [Edited by PSY: Please do not post BMI or weight numbers on TeenHelp.]

I've started going on the bike and doing all sorts of exercises in my room, but I hardly have any time to do any because I'm revising hard and I have to do the ponies all the time & I compete at least once a week. TBH I don't eat that much. A yoghurt or an alpen bar for breakfast, a sandwich and an apple and something like a biscuit for lunch and something like a roast or stir fry for tea. Occasionally I'll have a snack inbetween. I drink mostly OJ.

I don't feel secure about my weight at all. I'm always dressed in jodhpurs or jeans, and i saw myself in my jeans the other day and I didn't like what I saw. I thought I looked alright in my jods, but my mum tells me every time I wear my favourite pair that my bum looks big. I saw my reflection when I was on my horse the other day and tbh i looked bigger than him

Right now I'm wearing a loose polo shirt and pyjama bottoms because I don't feel right in front of my mum with anything tighter on. If I wear my jeans I have to wear my long cardigan over the top because I'm scared she'll say something.

Think I'm going to start doing more exercise, but tbh most of my weight is muscle anyway. It's just doing my head in, and now I feel fat too. Grr. don't know why I'm posting tbh, but I just needed to get it out of my system.

sorry everyone!

"you need defeat to add value to your victories" - Rafael Nadal

"feel the fear...do it anyway!"

"i'm on fire and nothing's gonna hold me back, unless blue sky's got a pocketful of tricks to try"

I now have a blog!
please follow my adventures as I strive to find humour in life, the universe, and everything (;

Last edited by PSY; April 11th 2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Removed actual BMI and "ideal" BMI numbers.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Feel insecure about my weight in front of family - April 11th 2010, 12:53 AM

Hey, Katie! Is your body type similar to your mom's? Because if it's not, she might just be confusing "overweight" with "different body type". For example, I am much wider on my bottom half than I am on my top half. This is partially due to my genetics, my diet, and my methods of exercise.

Just know that your mom loves you. <3 I'm certain that she's not saying all of this to make you feel bad... she's probably just a little worried, and wants to make sure that you're taking care of yourself. Parents are like that. xD My dad's always telling me to go running more often, vs. staying in my room and typing away on my computer.

Closed Thread