TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Angry They treat it like it's some sort of joke. - April 11th 2010, 06:21 AM

God, they annoy me!
They treat my mental illnesses like if it's some sort of joke!
Hell, I don't even talk to them about it.
After I went to the hospital, my sister keeps saying 'depression' with a sing-songy exaggerated voice!
And after my mom was informed that I have hallucinations and all, she's like, 'Oh, how are your little friends?' (that was 'cause I see people) and they all just treat me like shit, like if it's some sort of fucking joke.
I've tried educating them all about this but they don't want to listen! I asked my therapist to do so also but they won't listen to her either! They just go 'uh-huh.'
-_- ugh, it's irritating the hell out of me.
I just wanna run away from home, never come back.
See them make a joke out of me again.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: They treat it like it's some sort of joke. - April 11th 2010, 06:31 AM

Mental illness and the struggle of it is a hard thing for many people to understand. What you're going through happens a lot, unfortunately, so do not feel like you are alone. You may want to try telling your family that they don't have to understand, but they can at least stop harassing you about it. Given your age also, your family may feel like you are "too young" to be struggling with something of this nature. In their minds, they're probably trying to explain away what you are dealing with.

I'm not saying what they are doing is right, it isn't, but I'm just letting you know where they may be coming from.

If you have a therapist or psychologist you're seeing you may want to mention how your family is treating you. Sometimes it takes outside help and work in order for other family members to even try understanding what you're going through.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: They treat it like it's some sort of joke. - April 11th 2010, 06:44 AM

I already told my therapist about it and she said that she'll inform them.
They don't listen!
but it's a good thing she won't mention my hallos again.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: They treat it like it's some sort of joke. - April 11th 2010, 10:05 AM

Mental illnesses in general have a large social stigma, which when you have the symptoms, it's a kick in the groin each time that compounds the problems already being faced. They also may not understand the illnesses and may see it as being a bit bummed out. Your sister may have gotten more attention with your mother and can continue to by doing this because for her it's a win-win situation: she does it and gets closer, and it bums you out even more, justifying her observation of the disorder and you, so she can do it over and over. Your mother may be unsure how to approach it because when it hits families, the family members may be unsure what to do, so she may really mean no harm nor make a joke at all. It's what you just did, you referred to them as "hallos", so she does the same to downplay it and make it easier to talk about by decreasing the social distance, which got very large probably when you were diagnosed and hospitalized.

Mothers ask not to annoy you but because they care. Your sister probably doesn't want you to get hurt a lot otherwise she'd do so and not just say "depression".

The therapist joins this mix by telling your mother how to behave and most mothers don't take that very well, so for your mother, she's being told by someone how to raise her child who has an illness she's not sure how to handle in the first place.

Closed Thread