TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

How do you deal with jealousy of spoilt friends? - April 15th 2010, 11:43 AM

Basically, it's my friend's birthday tomorrow. He's spoiled rotten. Two ps3's, huge tv in his room, king-size bed just for him, two ds's, and a wii. He's been given the choice "Now Robbie, do you want an iPad or an iPhone?" and he won't even use them!
And here I am, a complete tech-addict, and my parents get me nothing! I'd been waiting 2 years for just an ipod touch! His laptop cost his parents £1189 and they didn't even care!
How do you deal with jealousy like this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: How do you deal with jealousy of spoilt friends? - April 15th 2010, 12:05 PM

If you were a tech geek you wouldn't be using apple products (y)

And there really isn't any way to deal with it to be honest, just don't speak to him and cut him out of your life completely?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bubbles1113 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How do you deal with jealousy of spoilt friends? - April 22nd 2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
If you were a tech geek you wouldn't be using apple products (y)

And there really isn't any way to deal with it to be honest, just don't speak to him and cut him out of your life completely?

That is Horrible advice. Just because you are Jealous of the "Material" things that your friends has, doesn't mean you should cut them out of your life. Why not focus on the real reason that you are friends with him? Are you friends with him because he has nice things? or are you friends with him because you truly like to hang out with him? He has nice things, so what. Just take pride in the fact that you have things that you WORKED for and he has things that are just handed to him.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: How do you deal with jealousy of spoilt friends? - April 22nd 2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles1113 View Post
That is Horrible advice. Just because you are Jealous of the "Material" things that your friends has, doesn't mean you should cut them out of your life. Why not focus on the real reason that you are friends with him? Are you friends with him because he has nice things? or are you friends with him because you truly like to hang out with him? He has nice things, so what. Just take pride in the fact that you have things that you WORKED for and he has things that are just handed to him.
I fail to see how it's horrible advice. If you're jealous of your friend because he gets bought a lot of things then there isn't much you can do. You can ignore it, or stop being friends with him.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: How do you deal with jealousy of spoilt friends? - April 23rd 2010, 02:01 AM

Well, jealousy rages on and on and may grow into something bad. Dealing with it is simply to stop being jealous. Just let your friend be and focus on getting your knowledge about tech. Continue on being a tech geek my friend, focus on enjoying your life and let it go.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: How do you deal with jealousy of spoilt friends? - April 23rd 2010, 09:15 PM

You're always going to know people who are better off (financially). Sometimes, they'll be wealthy because of the hard work they've done. Other times, they'll be wealthy because of the hard work their parents/grandparents/great-grandparents/extended family/family-in-law have done.

It's natural to be jealous, because we all want things that we can't have. I don't know if it's really possible to "get over" jealousy, but I do know that it's possible to COPE with jealousy. It seems that you are jealous over something that you can't control. You can't control your friend's parents' financial status, just as you can't control your parents' financial status.

So, find something that you CAN control. If it's money you want, get a job. You will still be jealous, but at least you'll be working toward getting the material things you want in life.

I also agree with what Bubbles said... it may help to try and focus on why you're friends with him. If you're not friends with him for the sake of friendship... then why ARE you friends with him? To enjoy the occasional "bone" that is thrown your way? Be honest about why you are choosing to hang out with him. If it's money and material things that you want, then it's only natural that you would continue to focus on those things, and to add fuel to your jealousy's flame when you don't get what you want, when you want it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: How do you deal with jealousy of spoilt friends? - April 23rd 2010, 11:14 PM

I dont have much problem with jealousy... because I think along completely different lines. Are any of those things, things that he actually bought out of his own money that he earned? It sounds like it's all stuff his parents bought for him. None of those things represent him putting any effort in to get them as such it looks like.

If u think like that... then there's not really that big difference between you and most people ur age, in terms of what's actually urs, so there's not much to be jealous about. Weather u come from a craphole with a familly that barely has any money, or from the top 1% richest people in the country.

Id be much happier with a laptop for $500, for which I earned the money myself, than one for $2000 which Id have to kiss my parents' ass over. Feeling of jealousy goes away when u actually achieve something for yourself.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: How do you deal with jealousy of spoilt friends? - April 23rd 2010, 11:26 PM

I know someone who is totally and completely spoilt.
But they're actually really bitchy and a real attention whore so yeah, as hugely big-headed as it sounds, sure they have all the money, but I feel like I'm a better person because I listen to people and know that the world doesn't revolve around me.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

Closed Thread