TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

how do i make friends? - May 2nd 2010, 09:52 AM

So several of my friends went to uni this year. And before they went they got in contact with other people going, chatted away on facebook - asked to go to the same hall and have become great friends.

But i dont get it . I dont know how to make friends online. I ask the basics- how are you, what do you like, where do you live. Then the conversation kinda stops.

I'm petrified of going to uni not knowing anyone. And would really like some tips on how to make aquaintances BEFORE i go. Once i'm there i'm ok with joining groups and everything

(#2 (permalink)) Old
VeN808HeA Offline
808_Hi_BOi
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: how do i make friends? - May 2nd 2010, 10:47 AM

i say forget trying to make friends online.
if ur personality is great in the real world and ur socializing is great then you'll be good at making friends pretty quick, your just nervous because ur friends already know people and became close. but if u wanna make friends online u have to learn how to open ur self to them even if ur a guy, friendship first begans with trust, then when the other person knows that u trust them with ur secrets then they will start to share there problems... trust me even if its kind of girlly!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: how do i make friends? - May 2nd 2010, 11:30 AM

Firstly, i'm a girl.

But i know making friends in real life is better. But i want to be able to get to know a few people first. Chat with the people i'll be sharing halls with. If everyone else gets in contact, i'll move in and be really left out.

EURGH i hate new starts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
VeN808HeA Offline
808_Hi_BOi
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: how do i make friends? - May 2nd 2010, 01:14 PM

sry about that.
umm wellz it aint that bad to join a group of friends...
but yeah i understand been through that lol
yeah the best way to make friends is to chat with them and getting to know each other

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: how do i make friends? - May 2nd 2010, 09:11 PM

HAHA! I made about 10 friends via Facebook when I was getting ready to leave for college... and I haven't met or talked with a single one of them since arriving. =P I honestly think it's better to just wait until you start going to lectures, then making friends with the people who are sitting nearby and have similar interests.

Will you be living on-campus? What you could try is making a Facebook group for whatever apartment complex you'll be living in... then hoping people from the university will find the group and join it. That's actually what I did for my second year on-campus... unfortunately, I didn't really keep in touch with those people, either. =P But who knows? It might be different for you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: how do i make friends? - May 2nd 2010, 09:35 PM

Thanks Robin. Thats a good idea- i'll find a group when i've got my accomodation formed.

So, it's not normal for everyone to know eachother through facebook prior to uni? Cos thats how my friends were making it out to be

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: how do i make friends? - May 2nd 2010, 09:46 PM

Nooooo! God no. Absolutely not. =P I mean, it's worth giving friendship via Facebook a shot, prior to becoming a student at the university... but it's kind of like transferring to a new high school, you know? If you're moving to a new town/city, and don't have any friends there, then you're expected to start from scratch.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: how do i make friends? - May 3rd 2010, 01:46 AM

People in uni are generally more grown up and open. They wont exclude you for something you cant even figure out. Facebook/Myspace friendships... I never bothered, although once ur in the uni you might find people post a lot of invites and events and other stuff through those sites.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread