TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

DNA Test? - February 11th 2009, 08:58 AM

I don't know if this in the right place or not, but basicly last year my mum told me that i might not be her 'real' daughter. She then told me that she thinks that when I was born at the hospital the nurse gave her me instead of her daughter, its been bugging me since she said it to me, and I look like no one in my family, no one in my family is tall, yet I'm tall im 5ft8. So I've been thinking they do DNA tests on the Jeremy Kyle show, I already have been near to going on the show to sort out family problems with my dad, and stuff like that, I was offered a place on the show, but I said no my family will not go on it, but I really want to get DNA test done on me, my dad and my mum. My mum told me she been doubting wether I am her 'actual real' daughter, since I was about 4 when she realised I look like no ones in my family. But if the DNA test come out as I am in the wrong family and I am not my mums 'actual real' daughter, and then how would I go about finding my real mum and dad. I really want to know if the family I have at the moment is my 'actual real family' or if I am in the wrong family. If I am in the wrong family would it be worth leaving the family I have to go and live with my real family. sorry if its confussing it confusses me aswell.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: DNA Test? - February 12th 2009, 09:34 PM

Hey there,

First of all, I really don't think these problems can be fixed on a television show. If you want to sort things out with your family, then family counseling is the best way to go. It is more personal and then you have professionals helping you to sort things out.

Also, if your mom is doubting that you are her real daughter, then the problem is not about genetics. Sometimes physical traits come from past relatives as well and your genes are not identical to your parents'. They could be carrying a 'tall' gene and have it passed down to you. I think this is something you need to sort out with your mom. You should let her know how her saying this makes you feel. It's not fair of her to alienate you like this. You are still family, and I'm sure she still cares about you.

If you want a genetics test and you think that you are prepared for any answer it could give, then talk to a doctor to learn more about it. They can give you more information.
As for finding these other parents, if you have other parents, I'm not sure how you would go about that. Again, your doctor will probably have more answers than I do.

I hope you are doing well.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: DNA Test? - February 12th 2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisschatterbox View Post
I don't know if this in the right place or not, but basicly last year my mum told me that i might not be her 'real' daughter. She then told me that she thinks that when I was born at the hospital the nurse gave her me instead of her daughter, its been bugging me since she said it to me, and I look like no one in my family, no one in my family is tall, yet I'm tall im 5ft8. So I've been thinking they do DNA tests on the Jeremy Kyle show, I already have been near to going on the show to sort out family problems with my dad, and stuff like that, I was offered a place on the show, but I said no my family will not go on it, but I really want to get DNA test done on me, my dad and my mum. My mum told me she been doubting wether I am her 'actual real' daughter, since I was about 4 when she realised I look like no ones in my family. But if the DNA test come out as I am in the wrong family and I am not my mums 'actual real' daughter, and then how would I go about finding my real mum and dad. I really want to know if the family I have at the moment is my 'actual real family' or if I am in the wrong family. If I am in the wrong family would it be worth leaving the family I have to go and live with my real family. sorry if its confussing it confusses me aswell.
You don't have to go on a tv show to find these things out. It might be a bit more hysterical if you put yourself in the eye of publicity.

You can get a list of baby girls born that day in that hospital, It shouldn't be as hard as it sounds.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: DNA Test? - February 15th 2009, 05:34 PM

I would but the hospital i was born in has been knocked down. I know that going on t.v is not the answer to it, but i have seen people have dna tests done. I really just want to know if i am in the right family. i know that if i did have a dna test done it could go two ways, it could tell me i am in the right family or that i am not in the right family and have another family somewhere else. but then if the results come out that i do have another family somewhere else they might be worse than the family i have now and they might be living in another country, or they might be in this country, or they might speak a forgien language. they might not want me, they might not like me i might be better off with the family i have but the family i have might be real family and my mum is just telling my crazy stuff. and i dont know, but i might have another family,but i might not.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: DNA Test? - February 15th 2009, 05:39 PM

DNA tests don't require the hospital you were born in. There are a variety of "testing centers" that could easily give you results. It would require you and your Mom to go in, give samples, and that would be it. My birthdad offered to have testing done with me, but our similarites are too close for me to doubt the connection.

If your Mom honestly means what she says and isn't just trying to lay on a guilt trip, she'll probably be somewhat agreeable to a DNA test. Until you get results or a test done, don't stress yourself out over the "what ifs".
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: DNA Test? - February 16th 2009, 01:59 PM

i dont know if my mum really does mean it but shes said it to me enough times for me to question it. im like the odd one out in my family.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maiden Offline
Bring It On
Average Joe

Name: Liadan

Re: DNA Test? - February 22nd 2009, 09:03 PM

Hey there. Just because you look different from your family, doesn't mean you're not meant to be there. I have six cousins. My grandparents, aunts, uncles and parents are all pretty short but yet all my six cousins are massive tall! Unfortunately, I'm the only short one... We don't actually know where all the tallness came from but it must've skipped a generation or two.

Having a DNA test won't be that hard. Like the others said, you just need a sample from both you and your parents and the lab will compare them to see how matched you are.

If they don't match, just remember: these people are the ones who raised you. Think of it as being adopted, because in a way, you were. They love you and they care about you, even if you don't have the same DNA. You may be able to find your biological parents somehow, but it would be a lot of work. There will be records somewhere, I'm sure. I once read in a magazine about a situation where the babies got swapped by accident and the two mothers found out and found each other when the kids were about 7, but they didn't swap children back. The kids became friends and so did the parents, but they kept the daughters they had been given. They didn't feel the need to swap.

If you want a DNA test, go and see your doctor and they can help you. Whatever the results, we will all be here for you.

Ever mind the Rule of Three: Three times what thou givest returns to thee: This lesson well, thou must learn: Thee only gets what thou dost earn.

Closed Thread