TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Advice on talking about mental health problems - May 28th 2010, 12:23 AM

-I am unsure if this goes here.

This may just be because I worry too much, but I think I might have a bipolar disorder. I made another topic about information on it, and the one post said how people over 20 usually get it. I looked at the symptoms and I have almost all of them. That's not the point though.. I want to go get checked, or do whatever you should do when you think that, but my parents would think I'm crazy if I brought it up.. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do? I know for a fact that if I talked to my parents about it, they would not believe me. So I'm quite confused and unsure of what I should do.

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Advice on talking about mental health problems - May 28th 2010, 05:41 AM

Hello!

First of all, I would caution you against seeking advice via the internet. It's easy to look at a list of symptoms and say "Hey, I've got three of those things... I must have such-and-such disorder/illness!" Unfortunately, it's not that simple. A psychologist or psychiatrist would have to run multiple tests and assessments, examining every aspect of your life, before they could come up with a diagnosis.

I would do a bit of research (about mental disorders/illnesses in general, NOT about a specific disorder/illness), then approach your parents about seeking psychological help. For example, studies have shown that anywhere between 10-20% of all adults suffer from some kind of mental disorder/illness at some point in their lives. Studies have also shown that the sooner someone can get help for their mental disorder/illness, the higher their chances are for leading a "normal" life.

A mental disorder/illness is, in some regards, like a physical illness. If you had pneumonia, you wouldn't leave it untreated, would you? Your parents would take you to a family doctor/general practitioner and make sure you received the proper tests/medication. The same thing applies for a mental disorder/illness. If left untreated, your symptoms can worsen, and it may be more difficult to get help later on.

I would recommend going to your family doctor/general practitioner for a referral (make sure it's for a psychologist or psychiatrist that specializes in mood disorders or adolescent psychology). See if your medical insurance covers mental health costs (including medication AND therapy). If you can't afford to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, try visiting a non-profit/low-cost clinic, and find out what services they offer.

I wish you all the best!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Re: Advice on talking about mental health problems - May 28th 2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks! That was very helpful. (:

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
Closed Thread