TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
L.K. Offline
Not a n00b

Defect from friends? - June 10th 2010, 11:43 PM

So every day I always hang out with my closest buddies at lunch and break periods. Lately, however, it feels like they kind of don't care as much anymore. They usually leave me and another friend behind (she is feeling the same thing I am), which kind of irritates us. It's not really nice to just ditch two close friends or not pay attention to us, and just be self-obsessed.

So we were both thinking of defecting from our group soon because it's not like they'd notice too much, yet we don't really know what else to do. We're planning on telling them and get a chance for opinions to go around first before making the final decision, but idk if that'll help that much. What should we do? Thanks for reading and responding!

"Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods." - Artistotle

"There comes a point in life when you realize who really matters, who never did, and who always will."

"A friend is someone who can see the truth and pain in you even when you are fooling everyone else."

"The worst feeling you'll ever feel is sitting next to the person who means the world to you, knowing that you mean nothing to them."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Defect from friends? - June 11th 2010, 12:05 AM

I think everyone will feel like this at some point with a group of friends, and it's perfectly normal, I would say. In my experience, I would just go with your friend to find people who you would rather talk to and have more fun around. If the first group notice your absence and care that much, they'll make sure you come back somehow, and things will be fine. If not, then it's no big loss if you find people you prefer hanging out with. I changed groups several times throughout the last year just trying to find who I am most comfortable with, and it's a great feeling when you find people who appreciate you as much as you appreciate them, and it'll certainly help that you have a friend with you to keep you company until you find more preferable people.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Defect from friends? - June 11th 2010, 12:53 AM

Based on my personal experiences, stating the reason(s) why you're leaving the group, or asking for opinions from other members of the group, will only make the situation worse. It'll seem like you're looking for attention, or trying to get them to beg you to stay.

If you and your friend want to hang out with other people... then leave. No speeches, no tests of friendships... just go. If any of your old friends ask you where you've been, or say they miss you, THEN I think it would be a good idea to say it's because you no longer feel welcomed and want to try meeting new people.

Closed Thread