TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Caleb Offline
Conqueror Worm
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Seth

I'm the one hurting them - June 19th 2010, 05:00 AM

I love my family so much. But I can't control my temper. I feel like I'm tearing them apart (maybe I am?)
They're afraid of me. I want to change, I want to help heal the wounds I've created, but I don't know how. My sister is scared of me, has been for years.

I'm a lot better then I used to be. They all used to have to tip toe around for fear of annoying me, even though I was young. But I don't want to stop getting better, I want to be a good brother and son. I have never hurt anyone physically, but I'm afraid I will.

I've cut down on how often I unleash hell, but how can I turn down the heat?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
truthbetold Offline
Ninja
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm the one hurting them - June 19th 2010, 06:11 AM

Often when people are angry, their muscles tense up, their breath is shallow and rapid, they have a feeling of pressure, and/or their heart races. If you can remember to, whenever you get angry, take slow deep breaths. Put your attention into that and the feelings above that come along with being angry. It may feel repetitive for a while, but it will work. Afterwards, you can consider what it was that you were angry about and whether or not something should be done to make the matter better.

If your sister is still ten or younger, it should help if you apologize for scaring her and tell her that you didn't mean to and you'll try not to in the future. (Even if she's older, it wouldn't hurt.)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: I'm the one hurting them - June 19th 2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I love my family so much. But I can't control my temper. I feel like I'm tearing them apart (maybe I am?)
They're afraid of me. I want to change, I want to help heal the wounds I've created, but I don't know how. My sister is scared of me, has been for years.

I'm a lot better then I used to be. They all used to have to tip toe around for fear of annoying me, even though I was young. But I don't want to stop getting better, I want to be a good brother and son. I have never hurt anyone physically, but I'm afraid I will.

I've cut down on how often I unleash hell, but how can I turn down the heat?
Love. Show love. Help them when they need help. Not fighting of course. But offer to do things for them. To accompany them to places. To spend more time with them. Make them laugh. Help your sister with homework. Whenever you can help them.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
anomie Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I'm the one hurting them - June 21st 2010, 01:36 AM

Man, do I feel you on that one. My family's dead scared of me too. Ever since I got put on medication I've been a lot more docile. But in your case it might be like embedding a nail with a sledgehammer.

Good luck and don't beat yourself up too much ... it's not like you asked for this.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
aaaaaaaa Offline
Not a n00b

Name: aaaaaaaa

Re: I'm the one hurting them - June 21st 2010, 03:29 AM

It's possible that you may be bi-polar
I am, and what you're describing are alot of the symptoms Ive had

But you're definitely angry over something, do you know what it is?
Going to see a counselor could help alot. Also, calmly talk to your parents about how you've been feeling and how worried you are over how angry you get so they can help you figure out some solutions

Closed Thread