TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

I hate being quiet. - August 1st 2010, 03:50 AM

I'm, I suppose, a naturally quiet person. But I hate it, I really really hate it. I hung out with a guy-friend of mine today, (we might possibly be more in the future? I dunno) and neither of us are really outgoing, so it was a little awkward. And we met a couple of his friends (whom I didn't know), and I just couldn't bring myself to say a single word around them... and I don't really know why. I didn't know what to say.

And I hate that I'm like this, and because of this I'm more self-conscience. I want to have more confidence, but I can't get that when I just don't know how to socialize >_< Does anyone have any advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: I hate being quiet. - August 1st 2010, 05:29 AM

Hello.

I know what you mean. I'm the exact same way, everyone just assumes I'm shy. It's annoying.

You just have to take a chance, open up and let go, take the risk. <3

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: I hate being quiet. - August 1st 2010, 05:44 AM

Hey Lily.

Being shy is nothing to be ashamed about, and even if you consider it as something to be shy about, everyone's been introduced to being ashamed about something or another. Everyone has something that they wish they could change about themself. Sometimes all it takes it you need to step out of your comfort zone. Even if it's hard, next time, try to speek up and try to join the conversation. It's going to be a little weird at first, of course, but after a couple times, it'll get easier. Step out of your shell and take a risk.
It can't end badly!

Understand that a lot of people are shy and it's not a bad thing!

Good luck! (:
-Kaylaaa.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I hate being quiet. - August 1st 2010, 06:04 AM

I have very good advice that I've told others on here. Go and talk to people, random strangers such as at school or in a mall. Doesn't matter if they're older or your age or younger. Just say a simple "hello" and try to comment on what's going on OR pretend to be unsure where something is. For example, if you're waiting in line for Tim Hortons, ask the person near you where a certain clothing shop (or whatever other shop) is and say you don't know because you don't come here often. Most people will answer you either they don't know or they'll give you a rough idea where it is. Ask them what they're going to get from Tim Hortons or what they'll be shopping for.

Point is, you get practice talking to others. If you screw up and think it's going a bit awkward, you have experience to build from and can figure out why it was awkward, then try again. Since it is a random person there won't be any worry if you embarass yourself because the person doesn't know you and you don't know the person. You may even get to talk to someone who you think is friendly or likes you.

I've done this to adults because they're likely to give me a mature response (and because they're now closer to my age). If you ask someone your age, you may find out the person has the same taste in fashion, Tim Hortons, music or whatever it is.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I hate being quiet. - August 1st 2010, 09:32 AM

Hey lily. I think everyone else has already said what i wanted to say, so i'm just gonna say that the world is open to you dont hesitate to go into it. Loads of new experiences and enjoyment await your arrival.

And i'm supporting you for all this because i know you deserve all the fun and enjoyment and smiles that will arise from all this.

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

we come, we help, we stick and never leave. pm me anytimeee!

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
rosesRblue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dani

Re: I hate being quiet. - August 2nd 2010, 07:01 AM

I'm naturally quiet like you are too. There's no shame in it. That's just who you are. I guarantee you that in time and with a little bit of courage, it will get better. It's not easy to overcome though, I won't lie. It's still something that I struggle with everyday. Especially at school. Just remember that no one can make you feel inferior if you don't want them to. Just be yourself. Open up. Even if you end up saying something stupid or something that causes controversy, at least you said what was on your mind.

“No other acoustic instrument can match the piano's expressive range, and no electric instrument can match its mystery.”

Kenneth Miller quotes

Closed Thread