TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anonymous

My friend needs to get out of her house. - August 8th 2010, 05:28 AM

I'm 18 and have been planning on moving out for a while now. My best friend is 16 (but very, very mature for her age) and I promised her that if I'm still apartment-less by her 18th birthday, we can find a place together. My friend's got a sort of troubled home life, and tonight her mom crossed some lines. Long story short, she wants out NOW. I'd be more than happy to find a place with her, but I don't want to get into any legal trouble. I can just see her mom telling her she can move out, then calling the cops on her for running away.

So my question is, what can I do to help my friend? Could I have her parents sign some sort of contract saying she's got the go ahead to live with me (preferably something besides an emancipation form?) I want to do more than just wait for them to work things out, because as soon as they do there will be another crisis on the horizon. Any ideas?

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My friend needs to get out of her house. - August 8th 2010, 09:45 AM

I don't believe anything would relieve her parents of full responsibility, save for legal emancipation or granting custody to an adult relative. Signing a piece of paper isn't going to do squat... what if their daughter was injured, and they didn't provide the proper medical care for her? What if your friend couldn't afford it herself? Would her parents be guilty of child negligence? Would YOU be guilty of child negligence, since she would be living under your roof at the time? SOMEONE has to be responsible for the care of your friend, so long as she is a minor, unless she is legally emancipated.

Also, your friend would not be able to sign a lease agreement unless she was legally emancipated. So even if you did manage to get your friend's parents to sign some piece of paper that says "Our daughter is now free to live her life independent of us", you would be the sole person on the lease agreement. All the utility and telephone/cable/internet bills would be in your name. Basically... if anything bad happened, it would ALL fall on you, and not on your friend, because she is a minor.

If your friend is being abused (physically/emotionally/etc.), and she has evidence of this (eyewitness, chat transcripts, text messages, audio/video recordings, pictures of injuries, etc.), then she can go to the police and file a complaint against her parents. She can also contact Child Protective Services. You can accompany her for both. =)

Closed Thread