TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lewis_kid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy August 8th 2010, 07:15 AM

Okay...Im 15yo and the only child (for now)...parents never got married. Lived with my Mom for 10 years. But recently i have had the urge to stay with dad...Mom doesnt want me to, cause she doesn't "Trust" him.
Almost all my life mom has told me how bad nd Evil Dad was.
But a few years ago me and dad cleared things up in an arguement in Sea World(...i said it...Sea World) Shamu was pissed! And now dad and i can't stop callin or textin each other.
So mom doesn't want me to go cause she feels as if im robbing her of "Her" moments (Sweet 16, Graduation, etc...). And she fails to understand that she won't miss a thing if im just a 2 hour drive aways (2 hours come on...she made it from Phoenix,AZ to Austin,TX in only 2 full tanks of gas. AND THAT'S A 15 HOUR DRIVE!!!). Mom says that she will never see me again, just being dramtic. My step mother is due in october, and she says i will not get attention (due to the fact that my Step-M couldn't have kids, but is gonna have a miracle babe).
I feel like im took my moms life cause she was so worried about mine, even when dad tried to help she wouldent let him. sSo no he is living a happy life and she is living a stressed one.
And the only reason she doesnt want me to go is because:
1. she doesnt want to loose her $700 child support
2. She insist that dad is gonna charge her for child support.
(if dad can pay $700 a month what makes u tink he is gonna need ur money!?...u kno how many twinkies i can buy with $700!?...i dont know! thats how many! AND I DUN EVEN LIKE TWINKIES!!!)
3. Its gonna lead to a big custady battle!!!
I will also feel bad if i leave cause mom will be alone...in our new house...by herslef...eating twinkies. And she is makin me feel guilty too.
but im doin this for me not her...and she doesnt see that. and she keeps saying if i stay "im gonna hate her for the rest of my life" i wont...

i didnt mention that im goin to stay with my dad because im questioning my sexuality...

Sry this...thing, i wrote is all over the place...

i wish i could run away but all my family live in Louisiana...on the east state line (8 hours)

Last edited by PSY; August 8th 2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Should i stay or go...? - August 11th 2010, 12:22 AM

Hey there. =) First of all, welcome to TeenHelp! I'm glad to see that you're reaching out for support and advice. =D

I can relate to your story. My parents separated when I was 13, divorced when I was 15. I wanted to live with my dad from the very beginning... but since he's in the military, the courts decided that I should live with my mom (in case he was ever deployed). A few years later, he finally managed to arrange things where he wouldn't get deployed for the remainder of his career (about four years)... and I told my mom that I wanted to live with him. She flipped out. She didn't want to lose control over me, she didn't want to lose the child support, and she most certainly did NOT want my dad to "win". So I had to wait until I turned 18. =/

All I can really suggest is that you sit down with your mom and tell her the truth (or as much of it as you can). Parents are surprisingly good at detecting when their kids are lying to them... so the more honest you are, the more convincing your argument will be. Remember, this isn't about your mom being a bad parent, or your dad being a good parent... this is about YOU, and your desire to grow as an individual. Living with your mom will make "reconnecting" with your dad more difficult.

The way your mom sees it, you just want to live with him because you like him better now... but that's not entirely true. You want to live with your dad because that's what's best for YOU right now. I don't quite understand why it would be better to live with your dad while you're questioning your sexuality... but if it really will help clarify things for you, then try explaining that to your mom. That may be too personal to discuss for the time being, though. =/

Worst-case scenario... you'll have to wait until you're 18 and ask your dad to make the trips to your sweet 16, graduation, etc., vs. asking your mom to make the trips.

Closed Thread