TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mickey

Question How do I become Fake to them? - August 17th 2010, 07:41 PM

I just moved in with my dad and stepmom and am having a little bit of trouble adjusting to there lifestyle. My dad and mom know about my troubling past and only want the best for me but my dad is always worried because I don't seem that happy to them. It's not that I hate living with them, It's just I feel like I'm always screwing things up. I'm not used to doing things their way and I just feel like I don't belong. I hate always being told that I'm doing something wrong and I hate that I'm making things hard on them.

I just would like to know how I came make them worry less. I want to make it appear as if I'm always happy even when I want to cry because I have no idea what I'm doing. I've tried smiling and acting like I'm not really upset even when I am.What do I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: How do I become Fake to them? - August 17th 2010, 07:48 PM

Take up a hobby, something to occupy yourself with so they see you're having a good time.. just make sure it's something you like.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
teen spirit Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cantina

Re: How do I become Fake to them? - August 28th 2010, 02:36 AM

Opening up the lines of communication is the first step. Be open and honest and just explain to them how you feel. Don't allow an arguement to erupt to yell out how you feel...ask them if you can sit down and talk to them when you are in a calm state of mind. They love you and want the best for you and they are just confused as to why your actions are revealing that you aren't happy. Let them know that you are just adjusting to their lifestyle and it will take you some time and to give you the space that you need. This will allow both sides to get out what it is they need to say and how they are feeling. Parents sometimes think that they can read their teens minds (believe me, I know!) and they are usually pretty far off the mark but if you let them in to your world, they will have a better understanding of where you are coming from and in turn, may compromise and meet you half way on some pressing issues that you have been experiencing that has been causing your unhappiness.
I hope this helps and makes sense to you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How do I become Fake to them? - August 28th 2010, 04:07 AM

Bottling it up isn't going to help because you'll drive yourself into a deep pit. If their lifestyle is new, don't expect to know it quickly. From what you said, the parents seem to want to help you so let them help by being more open. You may feel bad releasing your emotions onto them but it's better than bottling them up when you feel you really need to release them.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: How do I become Fake to them? - August 28th 2010, 06:54 AM

You shouldn't have to become 'fake' with them. This is your dad your talking about. You shouldn't have to be fake with them. Let them know that you feel sort of out of place. Talk to them and ask them what you can do as in what the house rules are and such. Then talk to them and let them know what they can do to help you adjust to the situation.
I went through the same situation last year when I moved in with my dad and his girlfriend. After we talked it out, it was a lot better.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
RedJames Offline
Average Joe

Name: James

Re: How do I become Fake to them? - August 28th 2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread View Post
You shouldn't have to become 'fake' with them. This is your dad your talking about. You shouldn't have to be fake with them. Let them know that you feel sort of out of place. Talk to them and ask them what you can do as in what the house rules are and such. Then talk to them and let them know what they can do to help you adjust to the situation.
I went through the same situation last year when I moved in with my dad and his girlfriend. After we talked it out, it was a lot better.

couldnt have said ti better myself

Closed Thread