TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Beka

Smile tell us about your dad - August 23rd 2010, 08:47 PM

there is a mom one so why not a dad thread?
so tell us about your dad? do you get along with him?
what kinda so parent is your dad? (the strick one, nice one ect)

well me and my dad have had a rather strained relationship, till recently. we now get along decently. atm he is living in aussie so i havent seen him in over a month.
he is deff the strick one, and can get scary. but i love him anyway :d

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3

Last edited by PSY; August 26th 2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: tell us about your dad - August 23rd 2010, 08:50 PM

My dad- No we really don't have a good relationship. We haven't spoken in three months. But when my parents were together, he did provide for us. We had a house and food and things as such.
My dad was the laid back chilled kind of dad but when it came for me to be punished he was the one who did it. Other than that he wasn't really in my life. I always went to my mom to ask if I could go places, always asked if people could come over, always asked her for the money.
My dad was basically a statue.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: tell us about your dad - August 23rd 2010, 09:18 PM

My dad is the best dad in the world, we are so similar and have the same taste in things. He always supports me and gives in the best and to be honest I am him favorite one we have so many inside jokes and a lot of people tell me that I am like a mini version of him when he was younger. Even though he is away a lot on business trips we always makes up and he sometimes takes me, he is very chilled and awesome.I’m definitely a daddy’s girl.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lu82 Offline
HI EVERYONE!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 02:27 AM

I love my dad, even though he doesnt like to show his emotions that much i know he cares and loves me. He is a hardworking men and has a pretty annoying sense of humor( not in a bad way) he acts like a big brother hehehehehe

Guenhwyvar roared a fourth time and darted off through the grove, a black arrow aimed at the heart of doom.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 02:42 AM

There was a time when my parents and I didn't get along.

My father had a sort of outlook that didn't match well with me in my mind.

Nowadays, I realize all the sacrifices he has made to get me where I am today and I am eternally grateful. Now I do every little bit to show my appreciation for him and decided to move in with him to the Philippines after I graduate from college. He helped me understand that I need my culture and should experience another lifestyle separate from what I have cultivated here in the states. He's my father and I'm proud of him. He has given me so much. It's a wonderful thing.

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 02:45 AM

My dad is a little austistic. He has no friends except those at the office who he has to get on with. He used to take me to the zoo when I was little and he started hitting me when I was 12. He backs down most of the time now when I stare him down, and told social services 'shes my daughter, I can hit her whenever I want' when they removed me from the home. He cried and begged me to come back when I came to get my things. My dad is a very angry man who works hard to pay for me and my mother. My dad loves me. My dad taught me that love is not enough to make a relationship work. My dad has taught me to be strong and cold hearted and how to block out feelings. My dad gets angry at little things and is very patronizing. My dad has his moments and forces me to hug him. My dad gets upset when he realizes how fucked our relationship is. My dad will not admit he's in the wrong. My dad pretended he didn't cry when our cat died. My dad talks to the dog when he thinks nobody is listening. My dad doesn't like DIY. My dad brings thoughts of punching things into my head. My dad burns easily in the sun. My dad stopped smoking weed when he was jobless so he could get a job. My dad now smokes legal highs. My dad likes omlettes and is a very simple man who likes to pretend things that he doesnt like aren't happening. My dad throws his weight around and is aggressive. My dad taught me how to fight for myself. My dad is probably the cause for most of my anxiety. My dad worries about me. My dad is his own worst enemy. My dad cannot control his temper. My dad is a hypocrit. My dad can drive really well. My dad has loads of hankys and very old socks. My dad irons my dresses when he's been horrible to me thinking it'll make up for it. My dad likes violent tv programs and watching hours of repetative news. My dad always changes the channel when the adverts come on. My dad is oddly sensetive to the fact he is bald. My dad used to play the drums. My dads teeth rotted when he was a kid from too many sweets. My dad started off as a binman. My dad strangled me a fair few times. My dad never wanted a child.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PGP Offline
Nothing
Junior TeenHelper

Name: PGP

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 03:28 AM

i've never really gotten along with my father, ever since he left my mother 10 years ago. My brother and I still see him every year, but i've always thought he was kind of an asshole. He doesn't seem to care much about me (probably because i'm very open with my feelings, so he knows i hate him)
he stopped really trying to get to know me a few years ago when we get into a fight.
when we do see each other now, which is usually Thanksgiving/Christmas every year, at our grandparent's, he and i kind of put up a front so we don't distress my bro, cuz he loves my father and gets upset when we fight.

i guess you could say my father sucks, but i guess he's not as bad as some others, so i won't say he is any worse than anyone else's dad, lest i make people angry

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 01:32 PM

We see each other everyday, we talk, but there'll always be a rift.
We're alike in barely any aspects.

One million miles away...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Deadmau5 Offline
Forsake Your Own Reason
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jay

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 02:40 PM

We have very little in common, but he still makes the effort to try and understand where I'm coming from, and I appreciate that.

This record broke on its own.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Connie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Connie

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 02:53 PM

Well, in a word....asshole.

He is intolerant, quick to anger, and hits me. He wants me to be a clone of my older sister who is his little girl.

He makes no effort to talk to me and ignores me unless I do something he does not like.

Last edited by Connie; August 24th 2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: correct spellling

(#11 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 05:32 PM

i love my dad :] we have a great relationship! he's into todays technology so he's not slow to understand computers or anything. he has a fb and is slightly addicted to it - he is always chatting he's usually happy, friendly, & social. my mom sometimes thinks that he should be a business man because he can always strike up conversations with people he's family oriented; he's close to all his brothers & sisters & he'll give up his sleep during the day [he works the graveyard shift so he sleeps during the day] so he can spend the day with family. he can also be a big jokester. we mess around; and will mock each other. also, whenever we go shopping he'll look for me, my sisters, and my mom also he trys to go with the flow - he owns a pair of VANS and trys to look hip and he supports whatever i go with, i guess. he even told me that if i wanted a tattoo right now he would sign off on it i'm a daddy's girl also. not that i don't have a good relationship with my mom or anything - but i spend a lot of time with my dad since he's home during the day so i'm just closer to him :]

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 06:58 PM

i don't have a real good realationship with my dad, he's short tempered. and when i was sexually assaulted whie we were camping once i ran up to him and told him all he said was "thats too bad" there are times when we get into fights over mean things he'll say to me and i'll tell him i'm still recovering from it and he'll say "why cant you just let that go?" he came downstairs one morning(it was a school day and i had been up for four days straight with NO SLEEP) he was being so hard on me and he says to me "you are a burden to mom" my mom would NEVER think orsay that about me thats what my dad thought. we fight a lot. and he'll get pissed at me over stupid things, like one day my brother was blasting his music really loud and the bass too and since i have a tumor on my eardrum the vibrations cause me pain, i was texting my dad like crazy. my dad comes home two hours later(for those two hours i was tortured literally, i was in so much pain i couldnt sit up because i was dizzy) so my dad comes home and barges into my room and starts yelling at me saying that "he wants to have time to himself and wants to have a life" he was basically saying that because of me and all of my health problems and surgeries,doctors appointments,and such are making it so he doesnt have a life. i wish i had a better realationship with him, but i doubt i ever will.

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 09:42 PM

Me and my dad get on okay but I don't see him very often. He doesn't live with me, and he works away so if there's a rare occasion when he's home and I'm home from uni we'll see each other. He's an okay parent, better now he's met his current partner. She encourages him to spend money on me I know money isn't being a good parent, but it helps I think our relationship has improved since he split up with my mum. I've become closer to both of my parents since then.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Haruhi Offline
Kpop Fan ~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jorddii

Re: tell us about your dad - August 24th 2010, 11:16 PM

I love my Dad, a lot..
He tries very hard with me, sometimes I feel like I take advantage of his leniance sometimes. But he understands me, and we dont argue much.
He does so much for me, we have a good relationship. Much better than mine and my Mum's, we argue a lot... or we used to. But I am happy living with my Dad. And I have a lot of freedom

I love him

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Ms. Music Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Re: tell us about your dad - August 25th 2010, 01:13 AM

I am one of the luckiest girls in the world to have a father like mine. My sister and my dad dont get along, but my dad and I have a great relationship. Honestly sometimes I feel like he is the only person who gets me. We butted heads a lot when I was younger but now we have a great relationship. We like the same kind of jokes, have the same interests, and we are both chronic overachievers. He is a Surgeon, lawyer, Pilot, Fraud investigator, and Entrepenure. I am so proud of him, and I love being his daughter. Its funny too because sometimes my mom will see something that I have done in my apartment and tell me that Dad does the same thing at home. I know its sounds childish, but I hope I am like him when I grow up. I he never stopped being a superhero to me.

As for the kind of parent he is, he lets me know when he is disappointed, but for the most part we have an understanding that I am going to drink, and party, and sleep with my boyfriend. As long as I keep my grades up, stay out of jail or the ER, and dont get pregnant he is ok with whatever decision I make. Its great that we are so open with eachother.
  Send a message via AIM to Ms. Music Send a message via Skype™ to Ms. Music 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: tell us about your dad - August 25th 2010, 01:28 AM

i don't see him as my 'dad'.. he's never talked to me in my life, im 16 for god sakes, why he dnt talk to me, i dnt understand.. the only time he 'talks' to me is wen he finds sumthing to blame me for.. he hates to be in da same room as me, sends me out if im where he wants to be.. he used to physically abuse me up until recently, for no reason at all.. dats my dad

(#17 (permalink)) Old
HopelessVictim Offline
Love Me Before I Parish♥
Average Joe

Name: April J.

Re: tell us about your dad - August 28th 2010, 02:26 PM

My dad has both his good moments and bad moments. We get along okay...but I really wish he would go to school and go out to look for work. I mean come on, he's in his mid forties for God's sake and he still doesn't know what he wants to do for a living!

The Day I First Cut Myself...

(#18 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: tell us about your dad - August 28th 2010, 05:21 PM

we don't really get on. he tries to buy my love by spoiling me because he feels guilty for never being there when i was younger. he gets angry really easily and is generally not a nice person. i doubt i'll ever cut him out of my life because he is still my dad but we don't have the best relationship.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#19 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: tell us about your dad - August 29th 2010, 04:46 AM

My dad is a fucking asshole and I wanna beat the fucking shit outta him.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: tell us about your dad - August 29th 2010, 07:29 AM

My father and I get along pretty well even though there are some things we never see eye-to-eye on and probably never will. But fortunately those rarely come up and there are very few of them. How he raises me I think comes from how he was raised, which was in a poor area and at the time, teachers were allowed to hit students. Other students were not allowed to do this but because he was bigger for his size, the teachers did nothing even when he got his face kicked in. Family got involved and the teacher knew to stop him from being hit or their well-being would suffer even more. Point is, his family is like this: family sticks up for one another and if one family member is injured, the person causing the injury better expect a visit from several people. My father never had a criminal record though neither did his brothers or most family. He's a person who despite this, doesn't resort to violence often (at home was a bit different); he's a person who can give an intimidating stare and is a pretty big guy. He's won many fights he's been in by not fighting, he talked his way out of them but the few he needed to fight, if he lost (rare), family came in.

He's pretty thick-skinned, can have a nasty temper where several houses complained about hearing him but he's very intelligent as he has multiple degrees and taught at a university. He curses a lot more than others even when not angry but I love him. He goes out of his way to help others young or old and tries his best to make family as successful as possible. When I was still in elementary school, he'd want me to show him my homework after I did it and he'd tell me if there were errors but not point them out unless I was hopelessly lost. He'd show me multiple ways for the same answer that teachers wouldn't show.

In university, he cant help much with studying because I study different topics than he does but he's interested in what I learn and likes to review my papers. In his school, biology was never taught to him as the monks wouldn't teach it so he doesn't know much of evolutionary theories, however, he loves to learn and hear them as he's genuinely interested in learning it.

So I believe I'm lucky to have a great father, who even though he did do some abuse to me and taught me at a young age of how he intimidated people to get something, he's a wonderful man.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: tell us about your dad - August 29th 2010, 09:46 AM

Haha my dad is Persian, and like most middle eastern dads extremely strict.

He never let me do anything up until I was 18

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: tell us about your dad - August 31st 2010, 01:04 AM

Me and my dad have our ups and downs. Somedays, he's awesome, and somedays, he gets on my nerves.
I guess my dad would be the "nice one" lol...he pretty much lets me do what I want

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Actress Offline
Our broken fairy tale </3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mary

Re: tell us about your dad - August 31st 2010, 11:54 AM

I hate my dad. He has always been a horrible father and husband. He has hit my mum, swore at me and my siblings, made us all cry, stayed out all night and generally made my life hell. When I was ten he cheated on my mum and dumped her by text. Every so often he comes to our house, pretending he wants to spend time with me and my siblings when all he does is sit on the sofa and spend my mum's money. My mum works so hard to get enough money so that we don't have to leave our house. We would have enough money if my dad didn't most of it on himself and his girlfriend. It makes my mum so sad that we don't have a proper father who cares about us: I don't care that he doesn't give a shit about me, I just wish he would leave our lives untouched by his selfishness.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: tell us about your dad - August 31st 2010, 04:10 PM

My dad is an amazing Dad. He is nice, caring and does everything for me. Ive lived with him since I was 8. I show my love in a weird way to him though, but ohwell....I think he understands.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: tell us about your dad - September 1st 2010, 12:36 AM

I love my dad We have a lot in common and he's always there for me.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
haveXhope Offline
Not a n00b

Re: tell us about your dad - September 1st 2010, 12:56 AM

My dad is amazing.
He was in my life for the first 6 years then left for a while, without contact/visitations. (Not his fault, he was fighting).
But I got reunited with him when I was 11, after a terrible thing happened to me.
Ever since, I've been with my dad. He's saved my life.
He's helped and supported me throughout my depression and anxiety attacks.
He listens to me when I need to talk and he's just a simple person.
He's laid back until I disrespect him, which I don't.
I respect him more than I respect anyone else in this entire world.
I have no clue where I would be without him.
So therefore, my father is my hero.
Forever.
I love you daddy.

Bri.
I wanna know how it feels to be happy.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: tell us about your dad - September 1st 2010, 05:39 AM

My dad has issues. He's been fighting depression for probably 6/7 years now. Like me he is extremely stubborn which leads to him being a hypocrit. He has always worked his hardest to get me everything and anything I need. I think sometimes he's trying to live vicariously through me. He loves me to the point where any distress I cause seems to cause him pain. I love him very much, and our relationship is much better when I'm away at college.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

Closed Thread