TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
anomie Offline
Not a n00b

What are your parents like? - February 17th 2009, 06:20 PM

- How are they as people? Are they strict, funny, quiet?
- What do they do for fun? Do they watch movies? Read books? Garden?
- What are they proud of? What do they wish they could change about themselves?
- What do you most like about them? How do you wish they were different?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: What are your parents like? - February 17th 2009, 07:05 PM

Hey! First, I've moved your thread to the Friends and Family forum. To answer your questions:

My parents are pretty laid back, now, but were stricter when I was a child. I was never grounded by them, though, or anything.

My dad rides his motorcycle and my mother likes to cross stitch or go camping, usually with my stepdad. Dad watches TV but he's pretty much the only one, besides me and my stepmom on Mondays (House!). My mom, stepmom and stepdad all read, although how frequently and what varies. Does anyone really LIKE to garden? We have a garden, and mostly mom works in it, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't enjoy it too much.

What are they proud of? I hope themselves and their children. If they wish they could change, I don't know. I think we all desire change within ourselves but sometimes those things are very private.

I don't know that there is much I don't like about my parents. They each play a very distinct role in my life. My stepmom is much the friend and gossip, although my mother and I gossip too. I think it's a lot to do with my age, now. My dad is sometimes irritating but I love him. We chat, mostly, and I enjoy it but sometimes I also go to him for advice. My stepdad is more the fun one to talk to and I don't think I'd go to him for advice, at least not first.

Then there is my birth father. He's a mess. I don't want to talk about my childhood in his home. For fun he... drinks, sadly. I don't know what he's proud of. I hope my brother and I, but I'm just not sure. I know it's not himself. Does he wish he could change? I'm sure he does. Do I dislike anything about him? I reckon. But he's my father, you know? Soo anyways.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
VanishingActs Offline
~kiss it better~
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: What are your parents like? - February 17th 2009, 07:16 PM

My parents are pretty laid back. They encourage me to be independent. They do worry about me if I go clubbing when I am at home, but I just have to give them a text every so often to let them know I am safe which is fair I think.

For fun they usually go out to dinner or stay in and watch a film together.

I hope they are proud of me, and Im not really sure what they would change.

I like that I have a good relationship with them. My Dad has a tendency to think three meals ahead but I love him to bits. I talk to my Mum about mostly everything, especially about boyfriends, and the advice she gives me always seems to stand me in good stead.

Live on love.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What are your parents like? - February 17th 2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
Both my parents have pretty good senses of humor...though my dad just likes to THINK he's funny more than he actually is. As far as being strict, I wouldn't consider my parents strict at all. They gave me a lot of independence, but I did have limits, and I was expected to be responsible and respectful.

My mom likes to read and watch movies for fun, and go out with her friends every once in a while to catch up. My dad likes gardening, crabbing, and drinking, which doesn't always turn out so well for the rest of us but he's never laid a hand on any of us so it could be much worse.

I know my parents are proud of me, and my brother, and also the life they've been able to provide us. We've always been able to spend time together, go on vacation, and not have to worry about making ends meet. They worked really hard to provide us with that security and the opportunities we have.

I think my favorite quality in my mom is her strength. I don't deal well with stress or responsibility. I can handle it, but I hate it and I will try to find any way out of it if possible. My mom has a full time job, then comes home and takes care of my dad, me, my brother, my sick grandmother, and our dog. She knows how hard she works and she knows she deserves a lot more from us but she never stops working and never stops giving. I don't think I'll ever be able to do what she does.

One thing I don't like about her is the fact that she expects me to be like her, and when I'm not (which is always) she makes the judgment that I'm wrong or weird or abnormal and that her way is the best or right way. I don't really mean her views of doing things, just her personality. I'm very introverted and observant and shy, and she often makes comments about it, making fun of me for being so different or complaining about how I just don't care about people or don't know how to act.

As for my dad, I think I admire his intelligence most. He knows so much about so many different things, and he's taught me a lot about life. From swimming to gardening, math, driving, softball, basically anything. I used to love when he would hang out with my friends and me when I was little because he was always willing to play games or sports with us and taught us all how to be better at whatever we were doing.

What I don't like is how he feels so competitive about it. He always has to take every opportunity he can to flaunt how he's smarter or stronger or better than someone else. I took the SATs for the first time when I was in 10th grade and I got 1300 (this was back when the total was out of 1600). I was really proud of myself and everyone was congratulating me, but all he said was that he scored 1350 or something. I always feel inadequate, I feel like I can't ever let it show that I don't understand something or that I'm not good at something because he'll immediately tear me down for it.

I don't know that I would change those qualities about them though, because they're a part of what pushes me to be a better person and to strive for what I believe in. I would be a totally different person if my mom and I were more alike, or if my dad was less competitive about things. I don't want to change who I am just to save myself some arguments with them.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Steve Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephen Moynihan

Re: What are your parents like? - February 17th 2009, 07:50 PM

My moms not bad but my step dad! Whoa he is a whole different story I get a 1 week Punishment for breathing. Currently im not allowed to go out with friends, Go snowboarding, or surf the web or any computer related stuff along with the TV (Basicaly anthing entertaining). My stereo has been confiscated and now im stuck in my room with nothing to do but think till the end of April . I get punished for silly things like watching TV before 9:00 Am, goin to bed 2 minuts late (Even though he lets my lil 7 year old sister go to bed at 12:00 Pm+ while im in bed at 11).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What are your parents like? - February 17th 2009, 09:21 PM

My dad would be pretty laidback. He's a good person to talk to and quite interesting to talk to. He's pretty funny too.
My mum can be quite serious and strict, but maybe thats just cos I'm the youngest, but she's okay.

What do they do for fun? Do they watch movies? Read books? Garden?
My dad is into nature-he likes going for long country walks, and watching programmes about nature (david attenborough and that). Does a bit of gardening too. He's also very interested in History. He likes to travel too.
My mum likes to watch the soaps and meet up with her sisters and that. She's a very family orientated person so she likes spending time with family and friends and going visiting people.

My dad =I think he would like to do more than he can though (he's just not able for as much as he used to be now). My mum is a good listener but also a very good talker. I think she would like to be less of a pushover and not say "yes" to everything.
I think they are proud of how they raised their children, none of us ever caused anyone any bother or trouble so they did a good job in bringing us up.

I like the fact that my dad is such an interesting person to listen too. I've learnt a lot from my dad. I dont wish he was different, except that maybe he was a bit more well health-wise than he is now but thats life!
I like the fact that my mum is a good listener, and is very realistic. However she is quite overprotective and still tends to treat me like I'm a kid sometimes (but she's getting better!) so I wish she'd give me my own space sometimes..
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Claire Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Claire

Re: What are your parents like? - February 18th 2009, 09:41 AM

Well first of all my mother is dead, she committed suicide when i was 13, so this will be all about my Daddy!

My dad is funny, he has a great sense of humour, but also a great sense of right and wrong so can be very set in his ways and difficult to get on with.

My dad loves to read and go out on his motorbike. When I go back home to visit him though, he spends all his time in my room and following me about the house so I guess he misses me and is tired of all his free time, even though when I lived there he was always telling me to shut up and leave him alone lol

My Dad was so proud of me when I got into uni, he would show me off to all his friends. Then when I got pregnant, he told me I was the biggest disappointment of his life. Since then, we found out my baby is disabled and my Dad tells me everyday now how proud he is of me for coping so well and being a good Mummy even though things are so hard. I never know whether he means it or if he still thinks I'm a disappointment, but I guess I'll never know.

I think my Dad wishes he could change how he was in school. He's such a clever, hard working guy, but he messed about it school and as a result he's had to work crappy jobs everyday of his life and he hates them. He was a single Dad so had no choice, but he wishes he'd done a job he liked not just one he had to, which is why he pushed me so hard in school.

What I like most about my Dad is the way he cuddles me without caring who can see. He cuddles me in the street, kisses me when he drops me of at the train station, holds my hand round town and lets me sit on his knee to watch TV! I love the way he is never ever afraid to tell me he loves me, even if we've had an argument. He still makes me feel like his little girl, even though I've got a family of my own now.

If i could change something about my Dad, it would be the fact he thnks he is right about everything and is so argumentative. You cannot tell my dad anything, coz he thinks he knows it all. I moved out when I was 18 and now I live in a completely different country to him, (even if it is just wales ) and we get on much better now we don't constantly push each other's buttons!

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though its breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, youll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
Youll see the sun come shining through for you

(#8 (permalink)) Old
maketeanotwar Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Charlie

Re: What are your parents like? - February 18th 2009, 11:06 AM

My mum and dad are pretty cool. They had me when they were eighteen and twenty respectively, so I have quite a casual relationship with them. It's more friends than parents sometimes, which is both cool and sometimes troubling.

They're both quite laidback, but my mum is the loud one. Definitely wears the pants. My dad is the stoic, quiet type.

My dad is very quiet, but very dry and quick. He takes a while to warm to people, but he is very gentle and protective.

My dad loves sport, particularly basketball and cycling. He has had five knee operations though, so he struggles to play. I think it makes him sad, but he says he doesn't mind just watching instead. My mum likes gardening and reading, particularly biographies and trashy magazines. She likes clothes and going out to drink fancy cocktails.

I think my parents are most proud of how far they've come from where they started- a rented one bedroom flat with a mattress on the floor and one income, to two steady incomes and a lovely home. I think they're perhaps proud of me, too. I turned out pretty well. I'm the third in my mum's family to go to university, and the first on my dad's side.

I like my parents' sense of humours. They're pretty welcoming people. All my friends like them a lot.

Sometimes, I wish they would listen to me a little more. They're both pretty busy, opinionated people, and sometimes there just isn't that much room for me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are your parents like? - February 20th 2009, 05:07 AM

Well my dad is pretty chilll...he use to be a crazy biker dude...my mommma well she is laid back...quiet...

My dad has a farm so he does farmer stuff? haha...he was in the army so goes on and on about guns...he likes blood and guts...hunting...and ma she likes to watch movies..be w us kids and garden.

I'm not sure on this one..

I love how my mom is also my friend, we like to do the same stuff and I love when she laughs and smiles...wish she did it more...I would change how she thinks sometimes...my dad he is funny...he is a good man deep down...i would def change that fact that he was so into drugs and drinking...maybe they would have stayed together and I would have had a normal life. But w/e that's to over rated.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: What are your parents like? - February 20th 2009, 01:04 PM

My mum is quite layed back, she speaks her mind, usually with bad consequences. She doesn't really think much before she speaks. She's quite sociable, likes to go out, can be funny at times, we can have a laugh together. She has her own weird sense of humour really. She's not strict with me, she has no reason to really, I generally do what she says and we're more like friends than mother and daughter.
My dad... well I dont really know what he's like. Havent been around him for long enough to get any sense of character. But I know that he doesnt like showing his feelings and keeps everything bottled up, avoiding confrontations. He's quite strict (an ex policeman), but more because of his wife really. Gets angry a lot, and likes to get drunk.. A LOT.

Hah my mum rarely has time for fun because of the baby. She used to read a bit but not she doesnt. She goes out with friends occasionally, or we'll go to the cinema or watch a film at home or something.
Dad just goes and gets drunk.

I guess my mums proud of me.. As she opened up to me about a month ago and said how amazed she is at how far i've come. I think she would like to be more understanding and possibly think more before she speaks.
My dad... I dont really know what he's proud of. Probably my brothers at whatever they do.

What I really like about my mum is that we can have a relaxed relationship, its easy to talk to her about the non-crazy stuff that happens in my life. I just wish that she would understand me more so that we wouldnt get into arguements about my feelings.
My dad.. I dont really like him that much. I wish he was around.. Tho I guess that won't change much. I wish he'd have been around when I was younger...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kyla Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kyla

Re: What are your parents like? - February 20th 2009, 01:59 PM

my moms a single parent but she sum wat strict but at the sametime she could be the collest person every i meen she does have rules like no dating til ur a junior (im not one though im a little older) but any ways sometimes it gets on my nerves because she holds the fact that she works 8 hours a day and we have to do everything since she pays the bills. gosh, parents, cant live with and you cant live without them lol

♥Sometimes people run away just to see who cares enough to follow♥

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: What are your parents like? - February 20th 2009, 06:31 PM

My mom's loud, obnoxious, and immature at times, but she's also very compassionate and understanding. My dad is just as immature as my mom, and he prefers to ignore the truth.

My mom likes movies (especially anything based on Jane Austen,) and classical music. She plays flute. Dad likes fishing, rock collecting, and told me he used to keep journals.

My mom is proud of her kids. She always says how proud she is of my brother, my sister, and I. She's also very proud of her work in engineering. She wishes she could change all the religious indoctrination she dealt with as a kid, and she wishes she could have exposed us kids to more options when we were younger.
I don't really know what my dad is proud of. I guess he's proud that he's a Christian, and proud my sister is still in the church with him. I don't know what he wishes he could change. I hope that he wants to change his relationship with my brother and I. I don't know.

I wish my mom didn't act like a little kid in public. It's embarrassing. But I wouldn't change her honesty, or her compassion, or her ability to love people as completely as she does.
I guess I like that my dad isn't a total deadbeat. He was never a bad man, he just doesn't understand how to be a father. I wish he would see things more reasonably than he does now.

Interesting questions, by the way!

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Half doomed and semi-sweet <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rhia.

Re: What are your parents like? - February 20th 2009, 07:06 PM

Boring pushovers. If I were them I would of died of bordom by now.

Nothing. Litarally. My mom cleans and that's pretty much it. They just watch TV.

I guess my mom's proud of her kids. That's it.

I dont like them and I wish they were different in every way, because I hate their personalities.

H a p p i n e s s.
  Send a message via MSN to 20 Dollar Nose Bleed  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
wtp Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What are your parents like? - February 20th 2009, 08:13 PM

My mom is lazy and not logical about her decisions and doesn't care for anyone other then herself.

My dad is hard working and logical but he's not bad but he can get annoying he thinks whatever he would want is what you would want.

Like if he would like ketchup on a sandwich you can be sure you would be getting ketchup on yours.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
helped Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are your parents like? - February 27th 2009, 08:46 AM

My parents are very kind heart. my mom is really kind hearted. they did for fun they are watching movies and telling some jokes. they are proud to me because i m their single son. they wishes me everyday. i also love my parents. my dad is little bit strict but hes very nice person.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
J&M's Mommy Offline
Formerly SilasLove:)
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kala

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 12:33 AM

My mom is stubborn. She was strict with me, but not with the rest of her kids.
My mom goes to the movies for fun or watches tv.
I hope my mom is proud of me in some ways. I don't think she would WILLINGLY change anything about herself.
What I like most about my mom is that she loves me and I know it. Everything she has done for me is because she loves me. I wish she felt differently about a lot of things and didn't run her mouth all the time.

Single Mommy since July 2011
Joseph, 4 and Madelyn, 3

my back-to-back babies are 1 year, 1 week and 1 day apart.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Jake Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jake

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 01:09 AM

My dad is an idiot, an embarrassment and a disgrace of a human being; a blister to society that needs to popped. Hopefully that heart of his that he constantly goes on about will finally give up soon. Did i mention i hate him and wish he'd just leave us all alone already?
My mom is great, she's the kind of person who lets me make my own decisions as long as they aren't greatly out of line(Which they never are, I'm pretty responsible) She's pretty quiet but cool to talk to, I can go to her for advice and actually have real, intelligent conversations with her.

My mom watches movies occasionally, watches tv, does stuff with the house. I guess she doesn't really do much "fun" stuff, she goes out places with her sisters a lot though. I guess that could be fun.
My dad, well i don't know and don't care enough to be interested.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
LillyImp Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lilly

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 01:14 AM

My mom is too sick to be capable of anything like that. She's more like a zombie. The last time to spoke to my father he was manipulative and angry.
My mother is an artist, and she used to love to take us for walks in the woods when we were little. My father has killed the pleaser center of his brain.
My mom wanted to be an artist, a real one, But now she just wants to be healthy. My dad wishes he had finished collage, not goten those tattoos, and that his kid didn't hate him.
I wish my mom was herself again. I love that she puts up with my style and swearing, and likes my art and enjoys it when I play the drums. I wish I had a dad.

Last edited by LillyImp; March 1st 2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: typo

(#19 (permalink)) Old
lifeislost Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steph

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 01:19 AM

My mom is the type of person who is affected by every little thing that I do. When asked whats wrong when she looks sad, she always replys with "nothing", which annoys me. My dad is the most annoying person you'll ever meet. But decpite that, I love them both.
For fun, my mom usually does logic puzzles or reads. My dad usually goes for a walk with my dog, goes hunting, or fishing.
They are both very proud of their accomplishments.
I wish mom wasn't as controlling and overprotective. I wish dad was less annoying and stayed out of my face.
But hey, their my parents, and nothing I say is going to change them. Their with me until the end. Dad always says "Good, bad, or indifferent, we're behind you".

I turn my head to the east… I don’t see nobody by my side
I turn my head to the west… still nobody in sight
So I turn my head to the north, swallow that pill that they call pride
The old me is dead and gone, but the new me will be alright

(#20 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 02:03 AM

How are they as people? Are they strict, funny, quiet?
My parents are very educated.. good people. My mom had me when she was really young, and I know she made a lot of sacrifices to get me where I am now. My (step)dad is.. very moody but he tries hard to support us financially and do the bills and stuff. We're a good family, not always easy. My dad is very funny sometimes, my mom can be fun to talk to. I don't think either are quiet in the family, but because we are immigrants, they tend to be less outspoken in public.

My dad is a netflixophile. He likes Fellini and Bergman. My mom has a thing for Updike and Julian Barnes, lol. She's weird.

What are they proud of? What do they wish they could change about themselves?

They're proud of our financial and social success. My mom doesn't fit the stereotype of the banged up teenage girl with no husband. They're proud of me because I got into the fancypants uni they forced me to apply to. If they could change something.. hmm.. they'd probably get a divorce :-/

What do you most like about them? How do you wish they were different?
Hmm... I'm almost outta here so I dunno. I wish my dad went to counseling for his anger issues and my mom wasn't so concerned about our social appearance. I also wish they could be proud of me in other ways, I guess. But I realize that I can fix anything my parents have supposedly afflicted on me. I am responsible for my actions.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#21 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 02:25 AM

My mum is very religious and likes to tell people about God. She falls asleep watching Christian television every night. I think she gets very tired at work, because she comes home and yells at us a lot.

My dad is hardworking, and usually he's good-natured. He hates it when I say that I am tired. He likes to think that he knows everyone's motives for doing things, and their secrets too.

Dear You,
You can make it through this. The clouds will not last forever.
From Me.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 03:31 AM

Both of my parents are in a "gourmet group" that they've had with some friends for over 10 years (as long as I can remember!)... every 6 weeks or so, one couple hosts it, and provides the drinks, and plans the menu, and every other couple has to make and bring a dish.

My mom watches TV a lot, and works out a lot. My dad does yoga a few times a week, which he really likes.

My dad also plays drums in a rock band (I love being able to say that my dad's in a band, haha). All of the guys in the band are around his age, and they all have families and full-time jobs. They rehearse once a week. I've seen them live a few times, and they're pretty good- they play mostly 60s-70s rock covers. He's played in bands his whole life, pretty much, since he was maybe 12? He lived in New York for a while. I remember once I was looking through this book (like a coffee table book) we have about CBGB's, filled with tons of pics, and my dad said that he played there a few times, which I thought was pretty cool. I'm not sure what he's most proud of. What does he wish he could change? Well, he's in sales now, and he seems to enjoy it- but whenever he's asked if he could have done anything different, he says he would've pursued music full-time.

I think I have a pretty good relationship with my parents. I don't ever really do anything "bad". I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs (it just doesn't interest me) and I don't really like parties. I usually get good grades (and if I'm ever having trouble, I let them know, and I take care of it, sometimes with their help). I don't really have an interest in staying out late (plus, considering my driver's license is "provisional" since I'm only 17, I can't drive after midnight anyway). I don't really get in trouble at school. I've been independent since a very young age, and my parents know that. At the same time, I DO need their help sometimes, even though I might not want to admit it!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 04:25 AM

How are they as people? Are they strict, funny, quiet? Their funny and fun to be around, most days. They use to be strict when I was younger, but now, eh, they relax if they know where I am.
What do they do for fun? Do they watch movies? Read books? Garden?My dad, watches tv, plays with his trains, and gardens. He can't read, not very well. Mum reads, crochets,sews, surfs the web, and gardens. My parents are two very different people, but I love them, and they love each other, I hope.
What are they proud of? What do they wish they could change about themselves? Me. Their proud of me, I'll be the first of my Dad's kids to finish college, even if I'm transferring I'll still have a degree, and the second of my mum's. And their proud of each other and their house.My Dad wishes he had finished High School, that he had mastered reading better, and that I would stop teasing him. My mum wishes we could pay all the bills, wishes that she had went to college, wishes that all of her children loved her.
What do you most like about them? How do you wish they were different? I love how different they are from other people. I do wish they didn't fight as often though.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
MidnightHorizon Offline
You LOVE it!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Eden

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 05:03 AM

- How are they as people? Are they strict, funny, quiet? Annoying/strict
- What do they do for fun? Do they watch movies? Read books? Garden? They arn't fun they like do chores for fun -.-
- What are they proud of? What do they wish they could change about themselves? I dunno
- What do you most like about them? How do you wish they were different? they give me money and i wish they were less parent-like. lol

When All Else Fails...
Look Cute!
  Send a message via MSN to MidnightHorizon  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
...Curt Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Curt

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 05:58 AM

My dad is an alcoholic, doesn't work and annoys the hell out of me with his immaturity...
My mom is way too passive but she is a very nice, non-judgemental person.

They both watch a lot of TV I guess... movies.
My mom reads aswell and my dad just drinks.

What are they proud of? What do they wish they could change about themselves?
I can't really say since I haven't asked them... but they would probably say their kids. I don't know what they would change...

What do you most like about them? How do you wish they were different?
My mom... she is always looking out for me and I can tell she cares a lot about me. She's cool and down to earth. I don't think i'd want her to change.
My dad... nothing. I don't hate him but I just wish he was never a part of my life. I hope he quits drinking, has a good, fulfilling life and finds happiness but I never have to see him again.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Mel14 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: What are your parents like? - March 1st 2009, 07:53 PM

My mom: loud, friendly, but sorta closed minded. she loves to go out and party, talk on the phone. Although shes not very comfortable with her own body. I love how she bakes but....i wish she would LISTEN more and not talk as much.
My dad: was friendly, everybody loved him, very sympathetic and loving, optimistic. He loved to play sports, also enjoyed helping other people. Not sure what he would change..or what he was proud of.....but I loved how he could listen to me, can't think of anything I didn't like.
I miss him =(

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 02:17 AM

- How are they as people?

My mom is controlling, and she subconsiously manipulates any situation.
My dad is very cautious but also will stand up for himself when needed

Are they strict, funny, quiet?

Well I"ve always been told I"m the second most stubborn person on earth. The most stubborn is my mother. She is very strict, and is also overprotective. My dad is not my legal guardian so he does not have much say in the things I can do. He can be quite at times.

My mom uses the computer, and my dad does anything but using the computer.

I have no idea what they are proud of, but it sure isn't me. I would make them less controlling if i could.

At least they are loving. Again I wish they weren't so controlling.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
flyingpancake Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 02:29 AM

As people, they're pretty cool. They love to joke around, and we can get insane laughing! My dad's typically pretty quiet, but has a pretty insane sense of humor. My mom's loud and insane, pretty damn overprotective, and one of my great friends. They're both pretty awesome.

My dad loves TV. My mom is a sewer. She loves artsy stuff. She does garden, and they read occasionally. My dad takes up one hobby after another, and always drops them after a while. They belong to the bird club, since we have two parrots.

They're proud of their educations, their accomplishments in life, and sometimes me. I think they wish they'd had better home lives.

I like how fun they are, and how hard they always try. I wish my mother wasn't so overprotective and let me be my own person. I wish my dad had chosen another line of work to get into that didn't stress him out so much. And I wish there wasn't so much making fun of people in general. Other than that, they're pretty cool.

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingpancake  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
s_tor_m Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tor

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 02:30 AM

My parent are very strict. they always have to know where i am at all times and i cant go anywhere with out an adult present, and im almost 18. pretty ridiculous is you ask me.
My mom is a major book worm, and works on the computer all day. My dad is at work during the day, comes home and watches tv
i dont know what theyre proud of. im sure not me tho, i was a problem child to them. i dont think they would change themselves
im glad they raised me to be patient and a generally nice person and not spoiled. So i guess some things they did were right. i wish they were less controling and not accuse me of so much, especially when i try to please them.

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

There is a world of difference
between refusal and failure.

Send a message via MSN to s_tor_m  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 02:31 AM

My mom and dad were pretty strict when I was younger. Once I hit, oh.. about 16 and got my license, my dad lightened up a whole lot. As long as I let him know when I was going somewhere.. he didn't care. My mom, got more paranoid. Now, they're pretty.. go with the flow. As long as I'm safe.. they trust me and don't care.

My mom works a lot as a 911 dispatcher. When she's home.. she rides the ambulance as a paramedic or reads. My dad works 3 jobs and when he's home he rides his motorcycle or works on the house. He rides the ambulance, too, as a paramedic with my mom and myself.

I know that my parents are pround of my sisters and myself. I know that my mom and dad are proud of what they *have* accomplished, but I know they would like to accomplish more. If they could change some things, I'm sure they would. I think my parent's would go back and be smarter with money, for the most part.

I love my parents. I don't think I'd change them, since they have helped shape me. My dad isn't the first person I would run to for advice, but I look up to him like woah. He's my hero and I strive to be more like him. My mom is the one I go to for advice and she has calmed down and become more.. sentimental than before.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 03:20 AM

My parents are extremely laid back. Probably too much so. But it's drawn me closer to my mom. They're not strict, but cautious I suppose is the word to put on it. Especially my father for some reason seems to worry about about everything I do, where my mom is worried, but doesn't show it as much, and trusts me more to be safe on my own. They both have a fairly good sense of humor. My mom's humor is more straight up though, where my dad has a sarcastic, dry sort of humor.

My dad likes fishing, and nearly anything (legal) to do with guns. He likes to read horror novels, but hasn't really much lately. Lately he goes and basically sits at the lake and reads 'motivational quotes'. I guess that's what rehab does to you.
My mom loves to read, and her hobbies change moment to moment. She got into crocheting and knitting for a while, and then cross stitching. She likes playing cards, and random games on the computer.

My dad is proud of his soberness from alcoholism for 6, nearly 7 months now. I know my mom is always very proud of me, my brother and my sister when we get good grades, or are acknowledged by someone else for doing something good. My mom would probably say she'd want to change everything about her, and my dad's ego is so huge he'd probably say he wouldn't want to change anything at all. Haha. Opposites attract right?

I like the way my mom works really hard to make sure I feel like I can talk to her about anything. And I love her openness to my sexuality - even if she thinks I'm crazy for it. I like my dad for being able to talk to him about drugs, and my depression type stuff, since he understands that more than my mom.
I would want them probably to have been more strict when I was little, to learn more things that I ended up having to figure out on my own, such as organization and so forth. And sticking to a schedule, not being late, and the like.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Turquoise Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 03:29 AM

They are pretty free souls, with rules to be followed but flexible ones. My mother is very funny in a satirical, sarcastic sort of way and my dad tries his best but he's just corny. They're both extremely intelligent, kind, and admirable.

My mother and I love to watch movies together, and we are both avid readers--in fact, she has one of those things called a Kindle, which is like a book iPod. She has like fifty books stored on it. My dad is a country music fan (ewwww) and also loves to take care of the yard and plant things.

They are proud of their vast education and their enjoyable yet still profitable careers (so they say.) And perhaps they don't say it as much as we'd like them to, I think they're proud of their children :P My mom always complains about her appearance and my dad about his age.

I love their open, attentive personalities. All of my friends say I have the coolest parents (I beg to differ, as some of theirs are really awesome too.) I wish they would be more comprehensive of my issues sometimes, but they can't really help themselves.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 09:37 AM

Ok, I suppose. They're horrible as a couple, but as people they're fine I guess. My dad can be funny and caring, if he's not drunk. My mom tends to come off as a bitch, but it's usually just a misunderstanding. She's can be funny and is very responsible (but, someone had to be).
My dad drinks, my mom goes to play bingo.
I don't think my dad's too proud of anything. My mom is proud of being able to take care of me and my sister, it was always something that was all on her. And she's never said it, but I think she's proud of leaving my dad in 2005.
I like that most people like my dad, and that he's really great when he's not drinking or doing drugs. I wish he wasn't a drunk. I like that mom's been a good role model, I wish she wasn't always so uptight.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

Last edited by Tara.; March 4th 2009 at 10:08 AM.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
[S.W] Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 10:05 AM

heya,
-My dads very laid back and trys to be jokey very sarcastic just does what pleases people most.
My moms strict espesically when she has had a drink, quite snappy and shouts/ swears alot.

-My dad likes PC games, AOF he plays alot, also he likes selling and buying on ebay. He loves his soaps or just films. Also he plays at golf tornaments.
My mom loves her music as she is in a band. playing with my little bros. Used to be sports.
They both read alot.

-My dad probably proud of his stamp collection lol, or when he completes a game, im not too sure.
My mom probably her bands and being able to play bass.
Both of them there kids and there success.

- i love my dad allowing me to do what i want to do, mainly everything just maybe we could talk more.
My mom just when we have a chat, i would liek her to stop drinking, and her anger.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: What are your parents like? - March 4th 2009, 08:24 PM

Neither of my parents are strict, at all. They often don't really care what i get up to.. and just let me do what i want. My mum is absolutely hilarious, we have an ongoing family joke that she should go into comedy lol. My dad likes to think he's funny, but he's not at all. They're both quite outspoken, especially my mum.. she won't be scared to tell someone what she thinks of them, and this can lead to some pretty embarassing situations.

My mum makes jewellery and loves reading. She also enjoys getting her hair done and shopping, she shops a lot! My dad plays golf and loves sport, rugby mainly.

They're very proud of my brother and i and also of the life they've worked really hard to be able to live. My mum probably wishes she could drop a few dress sizes [even though she's absolutely normal!] My dad, meh i don't know really.. because i don't talk to him a whole lot.

I love my mum because she's totally genuine and doesn't have a bad bone in her body.. She really cares about people and wouldn't upset anyone purposely. My dad, mehh.. i don't really like that much about him to be honest.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#36 (permalink)) Old
_void Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mel

Re: What are your parents like? - March 6th 2009, 11:43 AM

My dad is a pervert and tries to be funny. He can get super mean. My mom is bipolar and can be a freaking nut. Both of them can be fine one minute, then freaking out the next. When they're nice though, they're super nice.

My dad likes to build things (buildings) and design them. My mom takes me down to the barn. She likes grooming my horse and walking outside with us. We play two online games together when we're home. She likes to garden too.

I think my dad wishes he never screwed up... I THINK... lately he's been nicer and likes to buy me things (guilt?) Pretty sure he just wishes he had money... and probably to get away from us two. I have no idea what he's proud of. My mom is proud of my horse and what all she can do with him compared to when I first bought him. I know she wishes she wasn't sick/hurt so that she could ride him and do actual things with me.

I like that my dad is usually on my side when my mom is freaking out... makes it a lot easier since we can joke about it. I just wish he wasn't such a pervert. When my mom is being nice... well, I like her just being nice. I wish she wasn't hurt and sick.

Closed Thread