TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Wanting to go.. - October 8th 2010, 03:44 PM

I want to live with my aunt, uncle, and cousin in Colorado. They already said I could if I could convince my parents to let me. I'm not completely sure why, but my mom always says no. She doesn't even let me explain why I want to go live out there. It feels like we aren't really a family anyway, and my parents are always focusing on my eldest sister and all the problems she brings. Then they turn around and praise the middle child who is going off to college next year. It's like they only mention me when they're getting mad at me for "having an attitude" when really if I ever seem like I do it's only because I'm strongly affected by the way my dad acts. I just want to get out of this place. My family in Colorado feels like my only family, and I don't feel like I have any real friends here anyway.

I might as well list some pluses to going to Colorado, too.
1.) Most of my mom's side of the family lives up there.
2.) I'd be getting away from my dad's side of the family. After a certain incident last Christmas, I've felt like none of them like me except for one aunt, uncle, and cousin who live a few hours away.
3.) I can't talk to the people I live with about anything. I'm hoping that if I go to Colorado, my aunt can get me help for my cutting and major self-image problems.
4.) I get made fun of at my school. I hate it.
Aaand.. there are more, but I don't want to spam this place with a rant about all the amazing things that Colorado has to offer.
So any ideas about if I should continue trying to go? And maybe how to convince my parents to let me? (If you need anything clarified, I'd be happy to. I dunno if I made things clear enough. ^^')

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fineshrine Offline
Rebecca
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Wanting to go.. - October 9th 2010, 01:06 AM

Just ask your parents why they won't let you go. Make sure you ask them while they are in a good mood though, or else they'll probably just get mad at you. Try and explain to them how good this would be for you. Try and offer to do some things in exchange for them if they do this one thing for you.

Send a message via AIM to Fineshrine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Wanting to go.. - October 9th 2010, 03:58 AM

Asking your parents if you can move out is such a big step that they will most likely say no and also they will feel as though you are putting a burden on other people for too long when they are providing for you. They will probably also feel like humiliated failures if you run away and live with your aunt.

A far better angle would be if you asked if you could *visit* your relatives. Some time is better than no time, right? Plus, once you're there, you may find it easier to work something out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Online
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Wanting to go.. - October 9th 2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
Asking your parents if you can move out is such a big step that they will most likely say no and also they will feel as though you are putting a burden on other people for too long when they are providing for you. They will probably also feel like humiliated failures if you run away and live with your aunt.

A far better angle would be if you asked if you could *visit* your relatives. Some time is better than no time, right? Plus, once you're there, you may find it easier to work something out.
I think Opal's right on target. You could also talk to the relatives that you would be living with in Colorado, and ask them to work out the details with you (ex. how long, what you would pay/what chores you would do, which school you would go to, etc.). That way, when you talk about this issue with your parents again, you'll be able to demonstrate that you DO have a plan, and your relatives ARE willing to support you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Wanting to go.. - October 10th 2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
I think Opal's right on target. You could also talk to the relatives that you would be living with in Colorado, and ask them to work out the details with you (ex. how long, what you would pay/what chores you would do, which school you would go to, etc.). That way, when you talk about this issue with your parents again, you'll be able to demonstrate that you DO have a plan, and your relatives ARE willing to support you.
That's a good idea. I'd probably do chores instead of pay, though. <xD I can't get a job yet.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Wanting to go.. - October 12th 2010, 12:16 AM

DD ALRIGHT, GUYS. GUESS WHAT. My dad said I might get to go spend a month with them. I used what you guys suggested. :P

(#7 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Wanting to go.. - October 12th 2010, 01:39 AM

That's fantastic! I'm glad you received the answer you wanted. Have fun!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Thumbs up Re: Wanting to go.. - October 13th 2010, 11:26 PM

Well done!

Closed Thread