TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
All you need is love <3
Not a n00b

Name: Francesca or Frankie

Hols with friends q's...not sure if this is the right place! :S - January 8th 2009, 06:13 PM

Yeh, not sure if this is the right place...But feel free to move me!!
Anywho...
Well, last year me and my 3 closest friends wanted to go away together, but then everyone else in our friendship group was like "YEHHH" and so....well, we never went. This year we really are going to go. But there are 2 questions I wanted to ask/rant about.
Firstly, has anyone got any ideas on where to go? At first we were going to go to the Fringe (in Edinburgh) but the place we were planning to stay has gone wrong, and we cant find anywhere else really suitable. We want to stay in an apartment with space for four and preferably cooking facilities. We also want to fairly close to stuff (whatever that may be) and/or transport and we need to be able to get to/from an airport/train from England. We really would, on second thoughts, like to go out of the country for this, for about a week. We kind of thought Spain, France and Italy, with poss. Switzerland - but thats mega expensive. Also, because we're under 18 we have to be able to hire it as under 18s, some places are really sniffy, for obvious reasons. So...any ideas, or experience? What price range? Is city or beach types better? Coz we can't decide. We particuarly liked Paris, but is there any way to stay in an apartment whcih doesn't cost LOADS?
OK...second problem is more relevant to this section. We have this friend, who is a great friend, very loyal and stuff. And funny. But also very very annoying. She is insecure and so feels a need to put everyone down, she makes me feel like crap, and everyone else too. She...well, I won't go into the details, but lets just say my depression is somehow "exciting" for her...???!!! Don't quite understand that one...
Basically, not someone we want on holiday. But at the same time, she has like no close friends anymore because we have semi-abandoned her. Just today we signed up as a group not with her for something, and she was obviuosly really upset but didn't want to say. I felt horrrible. We have all agreed that if we want a good holiday, she shouldn't come. But is this right? And moreover how do we break it to her, or cope with it when she finds out. Or better yet. How do we tell her why she has lost our friendship, as she doesn't understand?
Sorry its so long!!! :$

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Hols with friends q's...not sure if this is the right place! :S - January 8th 2009, 06:18 PM

Part of this is the right forum, so I'll keep it here.

My friends have planned holidays I've helped with and not been able to go on...all I can say is two things- 1) Sort it as quickly as possible. 2) Be prepared. They are very stressful at first to plan and then the transport can be hectic. I don't mean this in a patronising way, but as many of my friends found out, you misunderestimate a lot- luggage and the space it takes, how hard and costly transport can be and at times, how hard it can be to get accomodation. I'd recommened starting somewhere small in the UK first before jumping at something like Swizterland.

As for your other friend, I can understand why she's frustrating, but may you should all sit her down and explain that the way she puts you all down isn't nice and it needs to stop...she may improve and become a pleasent person to be around once she realises just what she's doing. Try and be as gentle as possible, but very very clear.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
All you need is love <3
Not a n00b

Re: Hols with friends q's...not sure if this is the right place! :S - January 8th 2009, 06:31 PM

Thank you!
As for the friend, I think at some point we will have to do this, as she can't go on like this. Even if it doesn't save our friendship with her, we need to make sure she doesn't go off to uni in this state. SHe wouldn't make any close friends and would have a horrible time, which I wouldn't want. Its just so hard to do that. No one wants to tell her, because its hard to put into words, and, mainly, because we don't want to upset her. But of course there's problem little way to actually not upset her.
As for the holiday, thanks for the advice. I know (from other people who actually did get anywhere last year!) that luggage and particuarly transport can be an utter pain. So perhaps it is better to go somewhere in the uK. Our problem is where. We can only get places by train, as we won't any of us have passed our driving tests by then, but we don't want to go to a city. We live in London, which of course would be the obvious place to go. Edinburgh is still on the cards. But other places, like Manchester actually aren't that exciting, and anyway, we don't do clubbing etc. We could go down to dorset/devon/cornwall area. But actually these are harder to get to. Our friends went to one of their holiday flats in Sandbanks in Dorset, and they had to get driven. Our parents won't do that. Hm...its so tricky!! Maybe we should have a staycation back home!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Marionette. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Hols with friends q's...not sure if this is the right place! :S - January 8th 2009, 06:34 PM

Hey Frankie (:

Eurostar travel is probably your best shot for leaving the country.
Prices are reasonable and I think (though not sure) there's youth tickets as well.
Link Calling up places and asking is the best way to find out everything you need to know and most staff are quite helpful.
I know this as me and my friends are also looking into a small eurotrip so let me know if you find anything good.

Hostels have good prices and though they may not be like your average hotel, but they'll be affordable and have everything you need, so look into that.
I spent a week in a hostel in Barcelona and we had an amazing time. It's just who you're with that counts. (:

With your friend, I know EXACTLY how that feels, and it's sad to say, that the only way to deal with it, is to be honest with her and just tell her.
Maybe try keep the trip quite and next year if she asks about it, say it was all last minute.
Good luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
All you need is love <3
Not a n00b

Re: Hols with friends q's...not sure if this is the right place! :S - January 8th 2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks jade!!
I also think the eurostar is probably our best bet, and I will look into the youth ticket thing. I think once I did look and there was and it was quite reasonable. So that is possibly the best bet at the moment. And of course, ultimately you're right its who you're with which counts not where. O and I will look into the hostels!
I think you're right. I am going to have tell her. Urgh, not looking foward to that one! I think the plan is basically try as hard as poss not to tell her. She may never find 0out! It all just seems so mean!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Hols with friends q's...not sure if this is the right place! :S - January 8th 2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentlyangelic View Post
Thank you!
As for the friend, I think at some point we will have to do this, as she can't go on like this. Even if it doesn't save our friendship with her, we need to make sure she doesn't go off to uni in this state. SHe wouldn't make any close friends and would have a horrible time, which I wouldn't want. Its just so hard to do that. No one wants to tell her, because its hard to put into words, and, mainly, because we don't want to upset her. But of course there's problem little way to actually not upset her.
Yeah, a bit of hurt is going to happen, but as the saying goes- you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes. It could hurt her a lot, but there's a chance it could help her overcome her social issues.

Quote:
As for the holiday, thanks for the advice. I know (from other people who actually did get anywhere last year!) that luggage and particuarly transport can be an utter pain. So perhaps it is better to go somewhere in the uK. Our problem is where. We can only get places by train, as we won't any of us have passed our driving tests by then, but we don't want to go to a city. We live in London, which of course would be the obvious place to go. Edinburgh is still on the cards. But other places, like Manchester actually aren't that exciting, and anyway, we don't do clubbing etc. We could go down to dorset/devon/cornwall area. But actually these are harder to get to. Our friends went to one of their holiday flats in Sandbanks in Dorset, and they had to get driven. Our parents won't do that. Hm...its so tricky!! Maybe we should have a staycation back home!
Devonshire and Cornwall is good...but trains there would be difficult I imagine. Maybe yous hould look along the East coast for somewhere, or maybe down in Portsmouth or Southampton maybe? Edinburgh would be good, but if you go at fringe time, you'll need to move quick for accomodation and so forth.

Closed Thread