TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

This girl was talking about killing herself... - February 26th 2009, 11:32 PM

Basically there's this girl at my school whose a year younger than me, and occasionally she talks to me. She's mostly friends with a few of my sort-of-friends, but I wouldn't really consider her a friend, just one of those people that are around occasionally. But basically today she came to school really down and depressed, for whatever reason, I'm not sure why. But apparently she has tried to kill herself and she actually took pills that morning, but I wouldn't say it was enough for her to O.D. But she was really serious about trying to kill herself and now all I can ask myself is.. should I tell someone? I know a lot of times people just want attention, and sometimes she does seem like the type who would do something like that to seek attention. But I really don't think it's fair to assume that, if she might be serious. But, the thing is that she's not someone I regularly talk to and am necessarily familiar with. So is it even my place to tell a teacher or something? I know that none of my kind-of-friends that were around would tell anyone, because I know from experience that they don't exactly take that stuff to seriously. I guess maybe because they've never been there or known anyone who has.

I would tell someone. But... she's not my friend, really. Just someone I talk to. And I would care, a lot, if she killed herself, but is it my place to go up and tell someone? I don't want to make her life even worse. What to do.....?

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
faithlovehope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shannon

Exclamation Re: This girl was talking about killing herself... - February 26th 2009, 11:40 PM

you definately need to tell someone. the girl needs help, even if she is just kidding. a girl at my school always said that wanted to kill herself and nobody said anything until one day, she was gone. you need to tell someone, regardless if she is your friend or not. be a good person and get the girl help.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GO WHITE SOX!

I LOVE YOU KRISTOPHER
  Send a message via AIM to faithlovehope  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Re: This girl was talking about killing herself... - February 27th 2009, 12:05 AM

I know I know I should tell someone.
And this is gonna sound bitchy but... what if it makes everyone pissed at me, even more so?
I don't want her to be in jeopardy, but I don't want to feel even shittier at school either because I tried to help someone.. but that's a ridiculous reason...
Plus what if it makes her even more suicidal? I told her that taking pills kills you slowly and painfully and that it takes a long time at times, and she said she's just keep taking more every night, then.

So I know I have to tell someone. I just... don't want it to ruin her life.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: This girl was talking about killing herself... - February 27th 2009, 12:18 AM

Hey there,

Are there ways to contact the guidance office anonymously at your school? I know at my school you can give in notes if you are worried about someone or you think someone needs help.

Things like this should always be treated seriously. Talk to a teacher or counselor and get her to see people in guidance. Let them know that you are worried, but would rather not get involved and would like to do this anonymously since you are not a close friend. Let them know why you are worried about her.

This is a tough decision, but I think you should still tell someone.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
faithlovehope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: This girl was talking about killing herself... - February 27th 2009, 02:18 AM

helping her isn't going to ruin her life, it's going to help her tremendously. don't think she is joking, because there is a good chance she isn't. things like this should not be taken lightly. there should be a way for her to get help without anyone knowing it was you at your school. go into the guidance office, say you know a girl who is possibly thinking about killing herself but you don't want anyone to know you have the tip!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GO WHITE SOX!

I LOVE YOU KRISTOPHER
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Re: This girl was talking about killing herself... - February 27th 2009, 02:23 AM

I did have to do something like this once before... and it was no big deal, really...
I tortured myself over it but when I finally told someone things weren't so bad after all. I think that tomorrow I'll tell my Religion teacher.. or just someone in the office...

I just can't imagine if she really were to kill herself and I told no one, I think that would hit me really hard.

Thanks for the input..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: This girl was talking about killing herself... - February 27th 2009, 03:10 AM

do you think that you should talk to her first?

You're amazing just the way you are

(#8 (permalink)) Old
faithlovehope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: This girl was talking about killing herself... - February 27th 2009, 03:22 AM

talking to her isn't going to help! she most likely won't listen to anything she'll have to say. the best way to handle this is to tell someone who is more qualified to handle the situation.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GO WHITE SOX!

I LOVE YOU KRISTOPHER
Closed Thread