TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Do i stop him or let him do what he has to do? - February 28th 2009, 03:49 AM

so a friend of mine has a girlfriend he has been going out with for 1+ years and apparently this guy who is a friend of her brother's has been sexually harassing her (tripping to grab her chest, etc.) and he says that no matter what he says the kid won't stop. apparently there a few other factors as well...
1. Dad is a crackhead, so no parental options there
2. Is insolent to authority and is likely to talk his way out of it
3. Has been repetetively ignored what anyone says to him

anyways my friend wants to make him stop, violently,
now he does taekwondo with me so i'm not worried about his safety and he has a sound state of mind and plenty of control, so he's not going to do anything serious,
but just enough to get the message across for him to stop

he just told me about this today when i was at a friend's house and i told him to at least give him one last warning or find another way and he says that the kid won't listen to anything,
do i keep trying to play peacekeeper or let him do what he has to do?

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Do i stop him or let him do what he has to do? - February 28th 2009, 04:54 AM

If this guy takes Tae Kwon Do, he should know that he probalby shouldn't use it in this situation. There's a whole ethical code that people who practice Tae Kwon Do have to learn and agree to before they're taught anything.
Anyway, I think the obvious answer is to have her avoid the guy who's harassing her. I would try to dissuade your friend from beating the other guy up. Aside from the legal implications (which can be severe if he's over 18, just so you know), fighting is just not something our (North American) society tends to condone. The more you can learn to sort out problems without fists, the better off you'll be later on in life, right?
If he's bother your friend's girlfriend, she should stay away from him. I'm sure there are ways she can hang out with her friend without meeting his brother.
So yeah, I'd keep playing peacekeeper. BUT if your friend ignores you and beats this guy up, you're not responsible for that.
Hope that helps,
--EV

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Do i stop him or let him do what he has to do? - February 28th 2009, 04:11 PM

Yeah, the only problem is this guy has been doing this for 2 years and he's a friend of her brother's so he's always going to be around,
that and he goes to our school so he's always going to be there

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Do i stop him or let him do what he has to do? - February 28th 2009, 04:19 PM

Hey Jack,

I think you should suggest to your friend to talk to him one more time about this and maybe even get the school that this kid goes to involved. They may be able to use some authority to stop this.

I don't think violence will help in this situation, and it could get your friend in serious trouble. Contact the proper authorities to get them to deal with this. If the girlfriend is being harassed, it is her job to contact the police if it's serious, not her boyfriend's to beat the kid up.

If this is done properly and legally, it will work out better in the end.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread