TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Exclamation I Want To Leave My Family - January 30th 2011, 06:55 PM

So. I have a mum and a stepdad and one brother and one sister at my mind house. At my dads house, I have my dad, my stepmum and one brother.

I want to leave both the homes and stay somewhere else. At my mum's house all I do is argue with my stepdad. I told them I felt excluded and they missed the point. I feel like I can't talk to them about anything. And now they keep trying to get me to play games and go out with them, stuff I've always hated doing. I'm not good at pretending so I walk around miserable which is how I feel. Then I get told off for looking miserable. When they knew i was going to be miserable and they still forced me to come! At my dads I hate it too because all we ever do is go on nature walks. It's the worst thing ever to do. I hate walking when I don't have my ipod on me, or a friend with me to talk to and laugh with.

So I hate both the places I live at and I want to live somewhere. I'm not planning on leaving home until I'm 25 and I'm 16 now. This is so I can save up money and have enough time to prepare myself. I thought I could live with them for that long but I can't.

At age 16 can I decide where to live? Can I leave my family homes for a foster home or a friends house?

Thanks,
Molly.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I Want To Leave My Family - January 30th 2011, 07:42 PM

Hello, Molly!

The laws are different for each state/country, but I doubt you would be able to live in a friend's home or foster home. In order to live with a friend, you would probably have to get permission from both of your parents... which I doubt they would be willing to give. Foster homes are generally reserved for children/teens who are/have been abused, and while you may not enjoy what your parents are doing, it's certainly not abuse.

Do you mind if I ask what your interests are? You said your mom's household likes playing games, and your dad's household likes nature walks, but you don't like either of those. If given a choice, what would you do with your free time? What would you do with your "family" time? Perhaps you could introduce one of your interests to your family members, and you could all participate in activities you DO enjoy from time to time.

One of the challenges of being part of a family is getting along, despite your different interests. Some family members are going to be extroverted, others will be introverted. Some will enjoy outdoor activities, others will enjoy indoor activities. I would like to encourage you to find a balance with both of your families, because I definitely think it's possible to do so! Be willing to compromise by playing games or going on walks every now and then, and they in turn may be willing to let you do things on your own or with friends from time to time.

Closed Thread