TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ceffyldwfr Offline
Questioner
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexis

How do I solve this problem? - January 30th 2011, 11:25 PM

The people who know me well say that I'm one of the most likeable people they know, but they say that, before they knew me, they were scared to approach me. They said I look 'intense' and intimidating, but I don't feel that way at all. When I'm by myself, I don't just sit there with a goofy smile on my face, but I don't avoid eye contact, either. I just act myself. They say it's my eyes or something. Something that can't be helped. Whatever it is, it's preventing me from making any friends!

I make sure to keep the open body language and do everything by the book, like all the how to articles say, but no matter what, people do not approach. They may watch from afar, but when it comes to talking to me, they just can't! Ugh.

You're standing because of the rain, not in spite of it. -me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: How do I solve this problem? - January 30th 2011, 11:44 PM

It kind of sounds like you're going to have to be the one to approach people. Sometimes there can be something intimidating about people who wait to be approached rather than approaching. If you be the one to initiate the first conversation, then they will realize that you're not a scary person after all. Not everyone is the best at approaching people, but eventually you will meet people who aren't afraid to be the first to talk to you. But until then, if you find someone you might want to be friends with, don't be shy and approach them first.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: How do I solve this problem? - January 31st 2011, 04:34 AM

I have the same problem! Apparently, it's because my "neutral" expression isn't "friendly" enough. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Amanda - you may have to do the approaching, vs. waiting for others to come to you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lanaslifetips Offline
Lana's Life Tips
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lana's Life Tips

Smile Re: How do I solve this problem? - January 31st 2011, 03:59 PM

Often people are quite shy when they haven't communicated with a person before. It may be not you but them! Start by a small smile and then start a conversation with them about anything. The weather, the latest band, TV programmes and just start a conversation. It should then fall into place.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ceffyldwfr Offline
Questioner
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexis

Re: How do I solve this problem? - January 31st 2011, 06:11 PM

Thank you guys! It does seem like that's what I'm going to have to do. I feel better just knowing that it happens the same to other people.

You're standing because of the rain, not in spite of it. -me

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gravestpulchra Offline
:( :) :?
Not a n00b

Name: Trina

Re: How do I solve this problem? - February 1st 2011, 05:18 AM

If someone is a really gorgeous person, or seems like the type of person who someone else is afraid they might not match up to than they will be intimidated.

Perhaps you just have really intense expressioned eyes that give of a sense of not being afraid, which makes people feel like they have to be unlike themselves, and cool.

You should just go up to the person, and say hello in a very friendly way, and say it with your eyes to.

Closed Thread