TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hockeystar945 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chels

Question Family Issues - February 1st 2011, 04:39 PM

My parents are divorced. About three years ago my brother left home, he now lives with my dad. I live with my mom and step dad. My brother left because he got caught for lying and cheating in school. Normally no consequences would have taken place, but this was a bigger issue thea normal. My step dad took control of the situation and my mom sat back and agreed with the punishment. My brother was, -and still is- addicted to his xbox. So when my parents decided to take away my brother's xbox for two weeks, my brother left, and my dad came and picked him up. He's lived with my dad now for three years. He hasn't talked to anyone on my mom, or step dad's side of the family. With an exception of my cousins recently on my mom's side. My mom is trying everything she can to run into him. But everytime she does, she just gets hurt again. My mom has become depressed, and sad all the time. She cries all the time as well. My dad isn't doing anything to help my mom's situation, and my step mom doesn't help either. Now, everytime either one of my parents bring up the topic, the always say, "we're not putting you in the middle.." etc. but I feel like they do. I now feel as if it's my fault that my brother still hasn't spoken to my mom. But my brother and I are pretty close, and he trusts me, anyone who brings up my mom he thinks is againest him, has it out for him and he doesn't trust them. I don't want this to happpen to me. I don't know what to do, I just want my brother to talk to my mom so that she can stop being depressed and sad all the time because she doesn't deserve this. I don't know what to do..

Last edited by Gaia; February 1st 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Moved to Friends and Family [:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Family Issues - February 1st 2011, 05:11 PM

Hey Chels, I'm sorry to hear that this has happened. My family recently went through something similar. Based on what you've said (and there might be more to it) the punishment he received seems reasonable and if that's the case then he's just stayed mad for a long time about something that is a big deal to him. I know you want your family back to the way it was and that will probably happen eventually. You can't make them talk to each other, it's your brother's choice to avoid speaking to your mom. Don't let yourself get put in the middle, what's going on is between the two,or three of them even though it affects you too. You can still stay close to him and just agree not to talk about your mom around him. Hope this helped.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Family Issues - February 5th 2011, 05:50 AM

If I were you, I would approach your brother in a very sincere way, and tell him what it's like at home at the moment with your mom. You mentioned he turns against anyone who mentions your mom, but you're not anyone, you're his brother. Tell him that you're bringing this up because it involves you too, and your mom being depressed is negatively affecting you. Hopefully your brother isn't too closed in, and at least listens to your plea. Hope all goes well!

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

Closed Thread