TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SnapCracklePop Offline
After all this time? Always <3
Not a n00b

Name: Annie

Lightbulb How should best friends act? - February 4th 2011, 05:35 PM

Is it normal for one or both to take out their aggression on the other person?
Should they be equal, or can one be outgoing and confident and one shy?
what do you think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: How should best friends act? - February 4th 2011, 06:45 PM

We all snap at other people from time to time. Seeing as we're even closer to "best friends", and thus more willing to be open about how we're feeling, then yes, I feel it's normal for "best friends" to get into fights.

I also feel it's normal to have "best friends" who are polar opposites. That was certainly the case for me! I was the social butterfly, she was the wallflower. We got along just fine until she began to prioritize her academics over our friendship. It has nothing to do with being extroverted/introverted... it had to do with our priorities and differing interests (which became more and more noticeable over the years).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How should best friends act? - February 4th 2011, 09:48 PM

I don't think it matters if they're the same socially, financially, or any other way, so as long as they get along very well. One of my best friends looked very similar to how I do and acted roughly the same way. Another one was a lot fatter and shier whereas another one wasn't the same colour, came from a poorer family, was ridiculed by most of the class and had a strong Indian accent.

Taking aggression out I think is normal providing it's within reason. Reason I say this is as best friends, there is a very strong rapport built up and confidence in each other that they will stay together and can handle much of the other person. It's a strong relationship and you can show some aggression knowing the person will be there for you.

One of my best friends who I was with since around grade 5-6 until grade 10 or so, we got into a few fights, some got physical. But we were able to understand each other, forgive each other and since we didn't break off after each aggressive outburst, it strengthened the relationship. In any relationship you're going to face aggression like it or not but if you stay together afterward, it only strengthens it.

Currently my 2 best friends act very much like how I do yet in terms of looks, the only things that's common is we're not black. We've got into fights before, hell, we even did "play-fighting" which led to one of my friends getting pretty hurt and angry so a more actual fight broke out. One of those friends isn't a social butterfly, the other is. In school even, those 2 friends loved history but I hated it, yet other subjects we like. One of them is arrogant (as am I, about the same amount) the other is less arrogant yet we don't get angry about one of us being arrogant. We even call and accept that we're at times an arrogant ignorant asshole, doesn't bother us.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!; February 4th 2011 at 09:53 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: How should best friends act? - February 4th 2011, 10:36 PM

me and my best friend im shy she is not i feel comfotable around her we can be really mean to eachother but we both know we love eachother i can tell her any thing she is meanier but if she wasnt mean then idk if we would be friends she wouldnt be herself if she was nice she i joky mean thou and a best friend who is always there for you and u can trust with you secrets and feelings that my opinon

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Iím catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

Closed Thread