TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MiataMike Offline
Extroverted Introvert
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michael Amato

Thumbs down No friends after high school? - February 8th 2011, 10:24 PM

Hi guys,

I finished high school at the end of November last year. I was a guy of medium popularity with about 7 or 8 people at schoool that I would call my 'real' friends. However, the rest i would still have a friendly chat with and maybe see once or twice outside of school - ie, at a party.

Whats really bugging me is, since high school has finished, it seems that my group of friends are moving away from me, but still seeing eachother - without inviting me! I dont understand..... It really hurts my self esteem.

I can only think of one explanation for this: i got into a university that everyone wanted to - and they all failed miserably at school and are going to TAFE. And for some immature, childish reason, they hold this against me. I havent changed, so whats the deal?

Is this normal to lose friends after high school and then gain some - and even more - in college/uni?

Thanks
(sorry for long post)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jaden89 Offline
Taste The Rainbow...
Average Joe

Name: Malissa

Re: No friends after high school? - February 8th 2011, 10:58 PM

You answered your own question if you think about it. You made it into a good college that everyone else wanted in but failed to get into. They're holding it against you because they are immature and probably a little jealous to. More then likely you'll be able to find more friends in college, I wouldn't worry about them ditching you, if they can leave over something like that then they weren't good friends to begin with.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jaden89  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MiataMike Offline
Extroverted Introvert
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No friends after high school? - February 8th 2011, 11:14 PM

Oh thats so true! Ill find better people at uni with similar interests and intelligence levels. These high school drop outs can rot in their TAFE

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: No friends after high school? - February 9th 2011, 02:09 AM

I've only kept in touch with one friend from high school. I was also the "smart" person in my group of friends. I'm finishing up my bachelors degree, and everyone else is still taking random classes at community colleges. Some of them are finally starting to get their acts together... but for the most part, they're all struggling to make ends meet. I don't think they're jealous of me, though... we just can't relate to each other like we were once able to in high school.

I've made plenty of friends in college... we have a lot more in common, and I feel like they're people I'll keep in touch with years after we graduate. =) So don't worry, you'll find new friends! In the meantime, it couldn't hurt to talk to some of your old friends one-on-one and see if you can find out what you've done "wrong". Don't accuse them of anything... just ask why you're never able to hang out together anymore. See if they'll open up. If you are ready to move on, though, then by all means, move on! Cherish the fond memories from high school, and look forward to all the fond memories you'll have from college as well!

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MiataMike Offline
Extroverted Introvert
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No friends after high school? - February 9th 2011, 02:31 AM

Wow! When people say your advice is good, they mean it! Thanks alot man, made me view this situation in such a mature light.

Closed Thread